If thoughts of family planning become part of your everyday activities, you may find comfort in knowing that the trusted experts at Dignity Health Central Coast are with you every step of the way. From pre-pregnancy through labor and delivery, we want you and your baby to remain healthy. Part of this journey can include unforeseen fetal conditions, such as muscular dystrophy.
Unlike other problems that can occur, doctors do know that causes of muscular dystrophy on the Central Coast of California are based on heredity. Find a Doctor today to learn more about muscular dystrophy genetics and your risks during pregnancy.
Diagnosing Muscular Dystrophy Symptoms at Dignity Health Central Coast
Muscular dystrophy describes a group of hereditary diseases that lead to progressive muscle weakness. Different muscular dystrophy types present varying symptoms that can occur in childhood or later in life.
Signs to watch for include:
- Stiff joints
- Lack of muscle tone, and a baby may appear “floppy”
- Movement with difficulty
- Muscle weakness
- Delayed or missed milestones during development, like sitting up or walking
- Unusual posture or gait
Although there is no muscular dystrophy cure, your doctor will discuss treatments that help with function, movement, and symptoms. Our philosophy of care, dignity, and respect, along with your personal preferences, will help us develop a plan for you and your child’s well-being.
Muscular Dystrophy Treatment with Compassion
Our goals for muscular dystrophy treatment on the Central Coast focus on building muscle strength, improving function, and correcting medical complications. At Dignity Health Central Coast, we offer our services with respect and dignity for you, your child, and family:
- Occupational, speech, respiratory, and physical therapy for movement, function, and for increasing mobility with appropriate assistive devices, including walkers, splints, and adaptive utensils
- Medications to prevent muscle spasms, increase strength, and slow muscle damage, as well as antibiotics to prevent and treat infections
- Surgery for medical complications or to reposition your child’s limbs and spine for improved movement
For a trusted doctor to help you understand your child’s condition and the best treatment options, reach out to Dignity Health Central Coast.
Dignity Health provides thorough diagnosis and effective treatments for muscular dystrophy on the Central Coast of California.