Stroke occurs when there is a lack of oxygen to the brain. This is usually caused by the sudden loss of blood flow to the brain which can be the result of a blood vessel being clogged by plaque, blood clots or when an artery in the brain ruptures and bleeds.
Know The Signs Of A Stroke
Strokes usually give warnings. It is important to know the warning signs of a stroke and seek medical attention immediately at a hospital with a stroke center. Prompt medical attention may prevent a serious stroke and prevent injury to the brain.
If you experience any of these stroke symptoms:
- Sudden numbness and tingling or weakness of the face, arm or leg, usually on one side of the body
- Sudden loss of speech, trouble speaking or understanding
- Sudden vision problems
- Sudden unexplained dizziness, unsteadiness or sudden falls, especially with any of the other symptoms
- Sudden severe headache with no apparent cause, described as the ‘worst headache’ of my life.
Act F.A.S.T. with these stroke signs:
- Face: Does one side of the face drop?
- Arms: Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
- Speech: Is speech slurred?
- Time: If the person shows any of these symptoms, call 9-1-1.
Learn More About The Stroke Center At Mercy Medical Center Redding
For more information about the Stroke Center, please call (530) 225-7365. For a physician referral, call (888) 628-1948 or use our search tool to Find a Doctor.