Our skilled and compassionate surgeons
will relieve your pain, restore your mobility,
and get you moving again.
We’ve got your back.
Almost everyone experiences back and neck discomfort at some point. But when pain persists and keeps you from doing the things you love, it’s time to find relief. Our skilled and compassionate surgeons will relieve your pain, restore your mobility, and get you moving again. Our physicians are highly trained in the latest technologies and treatments—including Mazor robotic spine surgery, offering fast and precise procedures. Mercy Redding is the only local hospital to be recognized by Blue Shield as a Blue Distinction Center and Anthem Blue Cross as a Blue Distinction Center+ for spine surgery.
What is Robotic Surgery?
With this type of surgery, your surgeon is using robotic instruments and is in control of the procedure the entire time. Robotic surgery is a technology that allows your surgeon to perform procedures with unprecedented accuracy, providing you a shorter recovery. This type of minimally invasive surgery, is more precise and results in a shorter recovery period. With robot-assisted surgery, you can look forward to feeling better and getting back to living your life sooner.
What Happens During Robotic Surgery?
During robotic surgery, your surgeon will:
- Make several small incisions
- Insert the miniature robotic instruments into the incisions
- Perform the surgery by manipulating the instruments on a console. The instruments have a greater level of precision and range of motion, allowing your surgeon to access even hard-to-reach places
- Visualize the surgery site on the high-resolution monitor at the console. The monitor offers a better, more detailed view of the operating area than your surgeon would have if he or she were standing over you
- Remove the instruments and close the incisions
What are the Benefits of Robotic Surgery?
Robotic surgery offers you and your surgeon many benefits, including:
- More precise surgery, with less manipulation of healthy tissue
- Shorter hospital stay
- Faster recovery
- Less pain, blood loss and scarring
- Less risk of infection and post-operative complications
However, keep in mind that robotic surgery is just one way we can perform your procedure. We may decide that you will have a better outcome if we perform a different type of procedure. Our surgeons have experience in all types of surgery. No matter which approach we take, we have your health and safety in mind.
Mazor Robotic Surgery for Spine
A Mazor surgical robot is about the size of a 12-ounce beverage can. It enables fast and precise placement of spinal implants for lumbar and thoracic spine infusions. It’s a procedure often used to treat patients suffering from debilitating back pain or limited range of motion. It might be an option for slipper vertebrae, scoliosis, kyphosis, and spine nerve issues.
Pre-surgery Spine Education
If you are scheduled for spine surgery at one of our Dignity Health campuses, we are committed to making your experience comfortable and your recovery as successful as possible.
Mercy Medical Center Redding offers several classes to keep you informed about what to expect should you be having spine surgery learn more here.
If you have questions about your procedure prior to admission, please contact your doctor or call 888.628.1948.