Most pregnancies are healthy for mom and baby, but sometimes the mother-to-be experiences a health condition that can have an adverse effect on her or her baby’s health. Regular prenatal care at Dignity Health North State helps prevent or reduce complications during pregnancy.
Experienced obstetricians and maternal-fetal medicine specialists at our maternity and family birthing centers provide trusted pregnancy care for maternal conditions in Northern California.
For high-risk births and babies with fetal conditions, our neonatal intensive care unit at Mercy Medical Center in Redding is available at a moment’s notice. Find a Doctor to make an appointment today — we want to help you say “hello” to your little one.
Maternal Conditions We Manage at Dignity Health North State
Prenatal testing helps your doctor diagnose and monitor maternal conditions. Conditions that can affect your pregnancy or your baby include:
- Gestational diabetes, which is high blood sugar that first appears in pregnancy
- Incompetent cervix, which is when the woman’s cervix opens before the end of pregnancy
- Isoimmunization, a condition caused by differences in blood type between the mother and baby
- Mullerian duct abnormalities, birth defects of the vagina and uterus in the mother that can cause problems with pregnancy
- Preeclampsia, a potentially life-threatening condition
- Premature rupture of membranes, when a woman’s water breaks (release of amniotic fluid from the sac protecting the baby) before the end of pregnancy
Our doctors also consider multiple gestation a maternal condition. A woman pregnant with more than one baby, such as twins or triplets, is at greater risk for complications and requires more prenatal care.
Prevention & Treatment of Maternal Conditions in Northern California
At each pregnancy care visit, your doctor checks your health and monitors your baby’s health and development. Your doctor uses test results and his or her own clinical experience to recommend the most appropriate treatment. Proper treatment, which may include medication, minor procedures, and activity restrictions, can help prevent serious complications and increase your chances of a healthy pregnancy and birth.
Talk to your doctor for more information about maternity services and our expertise with maternal conditions in Northern California.
Dignity Health North State offers family-centered maternity care and labor and delivery for women with maternal conditions in Mt. Shasta, Red Bluff, and Redding, CA.