Any pregnancy in which the child, mother, or both have an increased risk for complications is considered high risk. Some high-risk pregnancies result in serious threats to one or both of their lives. Others advance smoothly, with neither mom nor baby having any problems.
No one wants any surprises or trouble in the delivery room. That’s why Mercy Medical Center Redding, a part of the Dignity Health North State system, offers state-of-the-art care for high-risk pregnancies and births in Northern California. Find a Doctor who knows how to care for mothers and babies who need a little extra help on their big day.
High-Risk Pregnancy Symptoms
The symptoms of a high-risk pregnancy depend on what is causing the risk. However, common signs may include:
- Abnormal fetal growth
- Elevated blood sugar
- Elevated blood pressure
What Causes High-Risk Pregnancy?
Age, lifestyle choices, and pre-existing medical conditions can all cause pregnancy complications.
Common risk factors for high-risk pregnancy include:
- Being pregnant as a teenager or over age 35
- Using alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs
- Being very overweight or obese
- Having certain medical conditions, including anemia, HIV, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, lupus, thyroid disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes
- Being pregnant with more than one baby (multiple gestation)
- Having high blood sugar that only occurs during pregnancy (gestational diabetes)
- Displaying symptoms of preeclampsia and eclampsia, conditions that cause high blood pressure that develops during pregnancy
High-Risk Pregnancy Treatment at Dignity Health North State
Your treatment options for high-risk pregnancy depend on the cause of the risk. To help keep you and your baby safe, doctors recommend prevention strategies, including:
- Working with your doctor to manage pre-existing medical conditions throughout your pregnancy
- Quitting smoking, drinking, and using illegal drugs
- Maintaining the best possible overall health regardless of age
- Following prescribed treatment plans for any complications that develop during the pregnancy, such as preeclampsia
At Dignity Health North State, our doctors are highly trained in the treatment of high-risk pregnancy, whether it is caused by a maternal condition, a fetal condition, or both. If you have any concerns about your health or the health of your baby during pregnancy, our experts are here to help.
Dignity Health North State obstetricians are experts in the treatment and care of high-risk pregnancy in Mt. Shasta, Red Bluff, and Redding, CA.