Find Professional, Personal Care for Arrhythmias in the Sacramento Region
Arrhythmias are irregular heartbeats. Your heart may beat too quickly or too slowly, or have an erratic pattern. An irregular heartbeat can cause complications, including debilitating chest pain and dangerous blood clots.
If you live in the Sacramento area and believe you may have arrhythmia, the Dignity Health Heart and Vascular Institute of Greater Sacramento can provide the personal cardiology care that you need. Find a Heart Doctor near you to for state-of-the treatment for your cardiology condition, provided by a highly trained cardiology specialist.
Signs & Symptoms of Arrhythmias
Not all arrhythmias cause signs or symptoms. However, see your doctor at Dignity Health for these common arrhythmia symptoms:
- Irregular heartbeats, felt while taking your pulse
- Palpitations, or feeling that your heart is fluttering or skipping a beat
- Faster or slower heartbeat than usual
- Feeling faint or lightheaded
Go to an urgent care clinic or the closest emergency department for any of these symptoms:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
Treatment for Arrhythmia at Dignity Health
Your arrhythmia may not require medical treatment if it is minor and is not causing problems. These tips may ease the feelings of an irregular heartbeat:
- Hold your breath for a few moments and bear down as if having a bowel movement (called the Valsalva maneuver)
- Splash your face with ice-cold water
At Dignity Health, we use the latest cardiology technologies and methods for to provide the best possible care. Your arrhythmia treatment may include:
- Medications, including beta-blockers and anticoagulants, to slow down heart beats or control the irregular ones
- Cardiovascular ablation and implanted medical devices such as a pacemaker or implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Heart surgery such as the maze procedure or coronary artery bypass surgery
Not all arrhythmias can be prevented, but you can reduce your risk by following a heart-healthy lifestyle. We recommend that you:
- Eat a heart-healthy diet.
- Lose weight if you are overweight or obese.
- Exercise regularly.
- Limit or avoid alcohol.
- Limit or manage stress.
- Limit or avoid caffeine and other stimulants.
- Check with your pharmacist before taking over-the-counter medicines, such as antihistamines or those that contain stimulants.
Talk to your doctor at Dignity Health about our available resources to support you through lifestyle changes, including our available heart health classes and events.
Dignity Health Heart and Vascular Institute of Greater Sacramento diagnoses and treats arrhythmias in the Sacramento region.