As many as 40 million Americans are afflicted by more than 70 types of sleep disorders. Whether it is insomnia, restless legs syndrome or sleep apnea, the consequences of sleep disorders, especially the "problem sleepiness" during the day that normally follows, can have extremely serious—even life-threatening—consequences.
Effects of Sleep Disorders
Sleep is as essential to your well-being as a healthy diet and exercise. Chronic lack of sleep can:
- Increase blood pressure
- Contribute to stress and weight gain
- Affect your judgment, leading to car accidents and poor work performance
Diagnosing and Treating Sleep Disorders
Dignity Health Neurological Institute of Northern California offers a comprehensive team of neurologists, pulmonologists, psychologists and otolaryngologists who work with each patient and their sleeping partner to diagnose sleep disorders and provide appropriate treatments. Sleep disorders may be linked to:
- Biological changes associated with aging
- Certain physical diseases
- Other mental health disorders
In-depth sleep disorder diagnosis may also require a sleep study in one of Dignity Health Neurological Institute of Northern California's Sleep Centers in Sacramento and Woodland.
Depending on individual symptoms, treatment may be as simple as better sleep habits, or it may involve special breathing equipment.
Do I have a sleep disorder?
Sleep researchers have found that people who regularly sleep less than six or more than nine hours a night don't live as long as those who get closer to eight hours of solid rest on most nights. To determine if you're getting enough rest, answer the following questions:
- Do you have trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, waking up on time or feeling refreshed after sleeping?
- Do you have at least one of the following problems?
- Low energy
- Attention, concentration or memory problems
- Poor work performance
- Daytime sleepiness
- Making errors at work or while driving
- Frustration or worry about your sleep
Learn more about our Sleep Centers in Sacramento and Woodland.
Sleep Disorders Center at Woodland Memorial
515 Fairchild Court
Woodland, CA 95695
Details & Directions: Sleep Disorders Center at Woodland Memorial Hospital (515 Fairchild Court)
For assistance with a physician referral, call (888) 800-7688. To request additional information from someone at the Dignity Health Neurological Institute of Northern California, email us today.