Find Effective Treatment for a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) in the Sacramento Region
A urinary tract infection (UTI) can affect the bladder, urethra, kidneys, or ureters (tubes that drain urine from the kidneys to the bladder). Urinary tract infections are very common. Most UTI’s can be treated very successfully by an experienced gynecologist at Dignity Health.
If you’d like to learn more about our treatment options for a UTI in Sacramento or the surrounding areas, or request an appointment with a gynecologist, Find a Doctor near you today.
Urinary tract infections occur when bacteria get into the urinary tract. Common causes of UTIs include:
- Changes in the vaginal environment, which can happen during menopause
- Having a catheter to drain urine
- Having sex
- Incomplete emptying of the bladder, which may occur with kidney stones or other health conditions
- Using a diaphragm for birth control
- Wiping from back to front after using the toilet
Signs and symptoms of a urinary tract infection include:
- Pain or burning with urination
- Urine that is cloudy, smells bad, or is reddish in color
- Pressure in the lower belly
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Feeling tired or sick
If you think you have the symptoms of a UTI, speak with a trusted gynecologist at Dignity Health.
Reliable UTI Treatment at Dignity Health
When you visit a Dignity Health doctor, they will take a sample of your urine to determine the type of bacteria that is present. In most cases, antibiotics taken by mouth are used to treat a UTI. With proper treatment from a skilled gynecologist, most UTIs can be cured within a few days. Pain relievers can help relieve discomfort during the healing process.
If you have three or more UTIs in a year, your doctor may suggest additional antibiotics. If intercourse is causing a UTI, a prophylactic dose of an antibiotic may help with prevention.
Urinary Tract Infection Prevention
The goal of our treatment and prevention strategies is to help you stay as healthy as possible. You may be able to prevent urinary tract infections by:
- Urinating after sex to flush out bacteria
- Urinating whenever you feel the urge
- Drinking lots of water (drinking cranberry juice may also help prevent UTIs)
- Wiping front to back
- Wearing loose-fitting cotton underclothes
- Avoiding douching
Look to Dignity Health for a team that is committed to your overall well-being. Reach out to us for caring treatment today.As part of our women’s health services, Dignity Health gynecologists provide effective treatment for urinary tract infections throughout the Sacramento region.