Reliable Treatment for a Yeast Infection in the Sacramento Region
A yeast infection occurs when there is an overgrowth of Candida yeast, a naturally occurring yeast in the vagina. When there is an abnormal amount of this yeast, it can cause uncomfortable symptoms. Yeast infections are very common and affect about 75 percent of all women at least once in their lifetime.
For quick and trusted treatment for a yeast infection in the Sacramento region, Find a Doctor at Dignity Health. Using the latest treatment options, our skilled gynecologists are dedicated to providing exceptional care that’s close to home.
Gynecologic services are offered at all six of our Dignity Health Sacramento-area hospitals. Talk to your gynecologist about how we can best support your overall health and well-being, including through our Care Begins with Me program.
Yeast Infection Causes
A number of factors can trigger yeast overgrowth and a yeast infection, including:
- Antibiotic use (can kill “good” bacteria)
- Corticosteroid use (steroids depress the immune system)
- Hormone use (can increase your estrogen level and risk of yeast infection)
- Natural hormonal swings (during puberty, pregnancy, and perimenopause)
- Weakened immune system
Yeast Infection Symptoms
Symptoms of a yeast infection include:
- A burning sensation, especially when urinating or having intercourse
- Genital itching and irritation
- Swollen, reddened vulva
- Thick, white vaginal discharge
- Vaginal pain and soreness
- Watery vaginal discharge
If you’re experiencing uncomfortable symptoms but have never been diagnosed with a yeast infection by a health care professional, it’s important to see medical attention.
Yeast Infection Treatment at Dignity Health
Our gynecologists throughout the Sacramento region focus on treatments that help restore a natural vaginal environment.
Your doctor may suggest the following treatments for a yeast infection:
- Over-the-counter creams and suppositories
- Prescription creams or suppositories
- Medications taken by mouth
With appropriate treatment, most yeast infections go away in a few days.
Preventing Yeast Infections
You can follow these tips to help prevent future yeast infections:
- Avoid or limit use of antibiotics.
- Change out of wet clothing as soon as possible.
- Don’t wear tight-fitting pants and undergarments.
- Wear cotton underwear.