Pelvic pain is considered pain or discomfort in the lower abdominal region (between your bellybutton and pubic bone). Chronic pelvic pain is discomfort in this area that lasts for more than six months. Pelvic pain may be a warning sign of a condition such as endometriosis or diverticulitis.
Expert gynecologists at Dignity Health offer specialty care for the evaluation and treatment of pelvic pain in Sacramento and the surrounding areas. If you or a loved one would like to request an appointment to assess pelvic pain symptoms, Find a Doctor at Dignity Health today.
Pelvic Pain Causes
Pelvic pain is usually a symptom of another problem. Common causes of pelvic pain include:
- Adhesions: tissue that forms during healing after surgery
- Diverticulitis: an inflammation in parts of the colon
- Endometriosis: tissue that lines the uterus is found outside of the uterus
- Interstitial cystitis: a painful bladder syndrome
- Irritable bowel syndrome: abdominal pain with constipation and/or loose stools or frequent bowel movements
- Pelvic floor disorders: these include weakened muscles that make it difficult to control urination
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID): a sexually transmitted infection of the reproductive organs caused by bacteria
- Uterine fibroids: noncancerous tumors of the uterus
- Vulvodynia: pain in the outer female genitalia
Pelvic pain has many causes. To receive the right diagnosis, speak with a gynecologist one of our six Sacramento-area hospitals.
Pelvic Pain Symptoms
Symptoms of pelvic pain vary from person to person. Signs and symptoms of pelvic pain include:
- Painful intercourse
- Pain that worsens during your menstrual period
- Sharp or dull pain in the pelvic region
- Steady pain, or pain that comes and goes
Pelvic Pain Treatment at Dignity Health
Your treatment and prevention options depend on the cause of your pain, your overall health, age, lifestyle habits, personal values, and medical history. Using the latest methods, our treatment for pelvic pain may include:
- Lifestyle changes
- Physical therapy
With appropriate diagnosis and treatment from the skilled experts at Dignity Health, many women are able to find relief from pelvic pain. Visit us today for a full spectrum of gynecologic care. At Dignity Health, our women’s health teams provide advanced diagnostic evaluations and treatments for pelvic pain in the Sacramento region.