Diagnosing & Treating Genitourinary Cancer in Southern California
Genitourinary cancer affects the glands and organs of the male reproductive tract or urinary tract. Genitourinary cancers include:
- Bladder cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Adrenal cancer
- Ureteral cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Urethral cancer
- Penile cancer
At Dignity Health Southern California hospitals, our doctors and staff deliver our advanced cancer care technologies with a healing touch — whether it is prevention and screening or personalized treatment plans. We strive to treat the whole patient, not just the disease. Find a Doctor who specializes in treating genitourinary cancers at one of our Southern California hospitals:
- Northridge Hospital Medical Center
- California Hospital Medical Center
- St. John's Hospital Camarillo
- St. John's Regional Medical Center
- St. Mary Medical Center Long Beach
What Causes Genitourinary Cancers?
Doctors don’t always know what causes genitourinary cancers, although smoking and family history may play a role in many types. Age of onset and risk factors vary with each specific genitourinary cancer.
Genitourinary Cancer Symptoms
Signs of genitourinary cancer depend on the gland or organ affected and the specific type of cancer. Symptoms of prostate cancer, for example, are minimal early in the disease. Bladder cancer, however, typically causes symptoms in very early stages. Other cancers, such as testicular cancer and penile cancer, have obvious symptoms, such as swelling, ulceration, or a lump.
Genitourinary Cancer Treatment at Dignity Health Southern California
Treatment options for genitourinary cancer depend on the type and stage of the specific cancer.
Common treatments at Dignity Health Southern California hospitals include:
- Chemotherapy to stop cancer cells from growing or kill them
- Immune therapy, which can help the body’s immune fight the cancer
- Hormone therapy to reduce levels of hormones in the body that fuel cancer growth
- Surgery to remove the affected organ or tumor
- Targeted therapy to destroy cancer by using markers present only on cancer cells
- Radiation therapy, which can shrink tumors and kill cancer cells
Your doctor will tell you about the goals, benefits, and side effects of all of your treatment options. The best treatment for you will depend on many factors, including your personal preference. Your well-being is our top priority.
Dignity Health offers treatment for multiple types of genitourinary cancer in Southern California.