Additional Residency Experiences
In addition to the experience gained on rotations, residents at SJHMC also benefit from being involved in many other professional activities.
Professional Event Attendance:
- You will attend the ASHP Midyear Meeting and contribute to recruiting efforts during the Residency Showcase. PGY1 residents also have the opportunity for poster presentation and all residents may participate in various other educational and networking activities at Midyear.
- You will attend and present at the Southwestern States Conference.
- You will represent SJHMC during Residency Showcases and other residency promotional events.
Longitudinal Projects: You will demonstrate the application of your clinical skills by completing required longitudinal projects. These projects include, but are not limited to:
- All Residents
- Research project
- Medication use evaluation
- PGY1 Residents
- Drug monograph
- Drug class review
- Drug information questions
Presentations: You will provide education to your peers and medical teams via multiple forums including:
- Journal club
- Patient case presentation (PGY1 only)
Leadership: PGY1 will have the opportunity to gain valuable leadership experience and improve upon communication and organization skills through the Lead Resident role. This resident will serve as the point of contact for their residency class and preceptors for questions and updates and hold various leadership responsibilities.
Code Response: Following successful BLS/ACLS certification, the residents will be scheduled for adult code response coverage.
Professional Development: You will have the opportunity to partake in our PGY2/Professional Development Series. This series is conducted by experienced preceptors who have personally experienced the PGY2 match process. Preceptors hold monthly sessions to help guide our PGY1s through the entire application process. Residents who do not wish to apply for PGY2s will also benefit from participation as topics covered include but are not limited to, curriculum vitae and letter of intent writing, job search, and interview tips and tricks. The PGY2 resident will attend and contribute to these meetings as their schedule allows.
Teaching Certificate: PGY1 residents will obtain a teaching certificate from a local ACPE-accredited College of Pharmacy. Completion of the teaching certificate program will be optional for the PGY2 resident.