The Center for Advanced Heart Failure team will carefully evaluate every patient referred for advanced heart failure therapy to determine whether the patient is a candidate for LVAD. Among the evaluation tests performed will be:
- Blood work
- Chest Imaging
- Cardiopulmonary exercise test
- Heart catheterization
These tests may be ordered by your primary cardiologist or Advanced heart failure cardiologist or by your surgeon. If some of these tests have already been performed within the last 6 months, then we will not be repeating those on a case by case basis.
Who is on the evaluation committee?
- Cardiovascular Surgeon, specializing in surgeries with poor heart functions
- Cardiologist, specializing in treating end-stage heart failure
- Nurse practitioners and registered nurses
- Evaluation coordinator to help coordinate the evaluation process to get you ready for final discussions with the committee
- Social worker to understand your support system and concerns about living with LVAD. They will be also a very good source for exploring the support options available to you and your family
- Palliative medicine specialists who can help with your personal goals of care before, during and after the therapies
- Cardiac rehabilitation therapists for activity and exercise
- Other specialists as needed on a case by case basis