B.R.A.I.N.S. Concussion Rehab
Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph’s provides rehab for concussions through the Barrow Resource for Acquired Injury to the Nervous System (B.R.A.I.N.S.) Program.
Provided at St. Joseph’s Outpatient Rehab, this program provides specialized concussion evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation to patients 15 years of age and older who have been diagnosed with a mild traumatic brain injury or post-concussion impairments.
Concussion Rehab - Assessment Clinic
The B.R.A.I.N.S. Rehab Post-Concussion Assessment Clinic helps identify critical deficits after concussion. Clinicians work with the patient, family and physician to identify specific issues that may impact life and leisure activities.
The evaluation process includes formal assessments by therapists who specialize in neurological rehabilitation, and may include evaluation by:
- Occupational therapy for visual acuity and ability to complete independent daily living skills
- Physical therapy to assess physical, balance, sensory and vestibular impairments
- Speech-language pathology related to cognitive impairments that may affect daily communication and understanding
- Neuropsychology for cognitive functioning, comparison to baseline testing (i)f available, and assistance in return-to-play decision making for sports concussion
Advanced Concussion Rehab Services
If patients require continued treatment, they will be cared for by a team of rehab professionals that includes an occupational therapist, a physical therapist and a speech pathologist. The goal of therapy is to address deficits and limitations that are impacting life, school, sport, and/or work performance.
Treatment may include:
- Vestibular rehab, balance and sensory integration training
- Cognitive retraining and information processing
- Visual and spatial training
- Strengthening, stabilization and plyometric exercise prescription
- Community resources and information
- Instrumental daily life skills retraining
- Manual therapy and orthopedic injury treatment
- Reintegration into work and sport performance
Learn More About B.R.A.I.N.S. Concussion Rehab
For more information about our B.R.A.I.N.S. rehab program for concussions, call (602) 406-3230.