Nearly 50 percent of house fires are reported between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. making smoke alarms one of the most important safety devices in your home. If a fire starts in your home you may have only two - three minutes to escape. Protect yourself, your loved ones, and your home by identifying and removing fire hazards and keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
Plan For Safety
Because a fire can happen when you least expect it, plan for safety in advance.
- Check electrical equipment. Toss or repair items with frayed cords and never overload electrical outlets.
- Do not store flammable liquids such as gasoline, oil-based paints, cleaning products, pesticides, hairspray, glues, and turpentine near your hot water heater.
- Establish a meeting place (mail box, telephone pole) outside your home in the event of a fire.
- Install smoke detectors in each bedroom, on every level of your home, and in every living area.
- Never add lighter fluid or other flammable liquids to hot coals in a barbecue. The fluid can ignite, causing the container to explode.
- Never leave burning candles or pots on the stove unattended.
- Never use gasoline as a cleaning fluid. Keep gasoline tightly sealed in approved safety containers stored away from any ignition source.
- Plan and practice a home escape route. Make sure you know at least two exits from each room, in case one exit is blocked.
- Test your smoke detector monthly and remember to change your batteries twice each year.
If a fire occurs, get out, stay out, and call for help
Download the Fire Safety Checklist from the American Red Cross.
If Your Clothes Catch On Fire… Stop – Drop – Roll
- Stop where you are.
- Drop to the ground, covering your face with your hands.
- Roll on the ground to smother the flames.
General Emergency Instructions For Treating A Burn
- Do not puncture blisters.
- Do not put ice, butter or lotions on a burn. Do not use ointments immediately after you are burned.
- Immediately flood the burned area with cold water (no ice). Cool continuously for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat source.
If the burn is serious, seek medical attention immediately, or call 911.
Learn More About The Saint Francis Bothin Burn Center
For more information about the burn center, please call (415) 353-6255. If the burn is serious seek emergency medical attention immediately, or call 9-1-1.