Prior to surgery, you will speak with a nurse who help prepare you for surgery.
Prior to surgery, an intake appointment is scheduled for you with the Admitting Department and pre-assessment nurse. If you need to speak with the nurse prior to your appointment he/she can be reached at (415) 353-6880. You will receive a packet of information by mail containing forms you need to complete and bring with you to your intake appointment and pre-admission assessment. A parent or guardian must accompany anyone under 18 years of age.
Please bring these items to your pre-registration appointment:
- Any special requests from your doctor
- Completed pre-assessment forms
- Current insurance card
- Name and telephone number of person accompanying you home (s)ame-day surgery only
The day before surgery:
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight
- If you notice a change in your physical condition, such as a cold or sore throat, notify your doctor immediately
- Minimize or cease smoking and/or drinking alcohol 24 hours prior to surgery
- Please bring a list of the medications you are currently taking (do not bring your medications to the hospital)
- You may brush your teeth the morning of surgery
The day of surgery:
- Arrive promptly at the time arranged (usually two hours prior to surgery time)
- Bring a picture identification (ID) and your insurance card or information
- Bring containers for your reading glasses, eyeglasses, contact lenses, and dentures
- Bring name and telephone numbers of all contact persons
- Bring only a small amount of cash
- Do not wear jewelry or piercings
- Dress in loose, comfortable clothing, and non-slip shoes
- Friends or family members may wait for you in the surgical waiting area. For patient safety, logistics, and privacy concerns, visitors are not allowed in the recovery room.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages or smoke until cleared by your doctor
- Do not drive a car, operate machinery, or make important legal decisions for a full 24 hours after surgery
- Follow your discharge instructions
- Have someone available to assist you at home for the first 24 hours after surgery
For More Information About Preparing for Surgery
For more information, please call the admitting office at (415) 353-6200.