The St. Joseph's Medical Center Psychiatry Residency Training Program welcomed its first batch of residents in the summer of 2021. Our program is part of a multi-year effort to expand graduate medical education at St. Joseph's Medical Center (SJMC) which now has nine residency training programs. In addition, our partnerships with the Department of State Hospitals, and the VA are allowing new GME training sites in northern California, or as we call it, NorCal.
Psychiatry residents' primary inpatient experience will be at the St. Joseph's Behavioral Health Center (SJ BHC), and Department of State Hospitals-Napa (DSH-N). SJ BHC serves a diverse patient population that offers a full continuum of mental health services. The program provides an excellent and diverse training environment in the heart of California's Central Valley. Psychiatry consultation-liaison services are at St. Joseph's Medical Center, which has over 300 beds, a busy ICU, and hosts delivery of over 3,000 babies each year. Residents will also receive training in Outpatient Psychiatry at the Adult Outpatient Psychiatric Clinic of Touro University Medical Group, and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Northern California Health Care System (VA NCHS).
Residents will spend about ⅔ of their training time in Stockton at the following training sites:
- SJ BHC (PGY1 & PGY2) - Inpatient Psychiatry
- SJMC (PGY1 & PGY2) - Primary Care, Neurology, Internal Medicine and Consultation and Liaison Psychiatry
- TUMG (PGY2, PGY3 & PGY4) - Outpatient Psychiatry and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Community Psychiatry (PGY 2)
Residents will spend about ⅓ of their time in Napa for the following trainings:
- Inpatient Psychiatry (second site for Inpatient Psychiatry, PGY1 & PGY2)
- Geriatric Psychiatry (PGY2)
- Forensic Psychiatry (PGY2 & PGY4)
- Addiction Psychiatry (PGY2)
- Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) (PGY2)
- Public Psychiatry (PGY4) (in development)
For information about our program didactics, please click here.
There are plenty of fun and exciting things to do in Stockton and the SJMC community, including:
- Numerous food festivals such as the chocolate, cheese, mustard, and garlic festivals
- Fruit-picking at local orchards
- Visiting blossoming orchards in Spring
- Stroll the beautiful and majestic campus of the University of the Pacific (the oldest university in California)
- San Joaquin County Fair
- Plenty of hiking trails for outdoor enthusiasts
- Wetlands for birdwatching and hiking
- Close to Lodi - home to exceptional vineyards and craft breweries
- Stockton Taco Trail, a famous array of Mexican food
- The Haggin Museum, the centerpiece of the Central Valley art scene
- Resident clubs such as volleyball, frisbee, and hiking
In addition, Stockton is only 2.5 hours away from both Yosemite National Park and Lake Tahoe, yet only a 1.5-hour drive from the San Francisco Bay Area.
Residents will find a welcoming and caring family of faculty and staff at the St. Joseph's Medical Center Psychiatry Residency Program. The unique combination of a busy urban hospital with academic ties surrounded by a relatively rural and under-served community yields excellent patient care experiences.
Please consider pursuing your Psychiatry training with our program!