The St. Joseph's Medical Center Psychiatry Residency training program welcomed its' first batch of seven residents in the summer of 2021. Our program is part of a multi-year effort to expand graduate medical education at St. Joseph's Medical Center. Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine programs started in 2018, Internal Medicine and Transitional year in 2020.
Psychiatry residents' primary inpatient experience will be at the St. Joseph's Behavioral Health Center, serving the diverse patient population that offers a full continuum of mental health services. The program provides an excellent and diverse training environment in the heart of California's Central Valley. Psychiatry consultation-liaison services are at the St. Joseph's Medical Center, which has over 300 beds, a busy ICU, and hosts delivery of over 3,000 babies each year.
Other hallmarks of the St. Joseph's Psychiatry Residency Program include collaboration with the California Department of State Hospitals-Napa and Touro University California College of Osteopathic Medicine, which will provide a unique learning opportunity for residents and research projects benefits to patient care.
There are plenty of fun and exciting things to do in Stockton and the SJMC community, including:
- Numerous food festivals such as the chocolate, cheese, mustard, and garlic festivals
- Fruit-picking at local orchards
- Visiting blossoming orchards in spring
- Stroll the beautiful and majestic campus of the University of the Pacific—the oldest university in California
- San Joaquin County Fair
- Plenty of hiking trails for outdoor enthusiasts
- Wetlands for birdwatching and hiking
- Close to Lodi—home to exceptional vineyards and craft breweries
- Stockton Taco Trail, a famous array of Mexican food
- The Haggin Museum, the centerpiece of the Central Valley art scene
- Resident clubs such as volleyball, frisbee, and hiking
In addition, Stockton is only 2.5 hours away from both Yosemite National Park and Lake Tahoe, yet only a 1.5-hour drive from the San Francisco Bay Area.
Residents will find a welcoming and caring family of faculty and staff at St. Joseph's Medical Center Psychiatry Residency Program. The unique combination of a busy urban hospital with academic ties surrounded by a relatively rural and under-served community yields excellent patient care experiences.
Please consider pursuing your Psychiatry training with our program!