If you live in the Stockton area and believe you may have arrhythmia, the St. Joseph's Heart & Vascular Institute can provide the personal care that you need. Find a Doctor near you to for state-of-the treatment for your cardiovascular condition, provided by a highly trained cardiologist.
Signs & Symptoms of Arrhythmias
Not all arrhythmias cause signs or symptoms. However, see your doctor at Dignity Health for these common arrhythmia symptoms:
- Irregular heartbeats, felt while taking your pulse
- Palpitations, or feeling that your heart is fluttering or skipping a beat
- Faster or slower heartbeat than usual
- Feeling faint or lightheaded
Go to an urgent care clinic or the closest emergency department for any of these symptoms:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
Treatment for Arrhythmia at Dignity Health
Your arrhythmia may not require medical treatment if it is minor and is not causing problems. These tips may ease the feelings of an irregular heartbeat:
- Hold your breath for a few moments and bear down as if having a bowel movement (called the Valsalva maneuver)
- Splash your face with ice-cold water
At St. Joseph's Heart & Vascular Institute, we use the latest technologies and methods for to provide the best possible care. Your arrhythmia treatment may include:
- Medications, including beta-blockers and anticoagulants, to slow down heart beats or control the irregular ones
- Cardiac ablation and implanted medical devices such as a pacemaker or implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Heart surgery such as the maze procedure or coronary artery bypass surgery
Not all arrhythmias can be prevented, but you can reduce your risk by following a heart-healthy lifestyle. We recommend that you:
- Eat a heart-healthy diet.
- Lose weight if you are overweight or obese.
- Exercise regularly.
- Limit or avoid alcohol.
- Limit or manage stress.
- Limit or avoid caffeine and other stimulants.
- Check with your pharmacist before taking over-the-counter medicines, such as antihistamines or those that contain stimulants.
Talk to your doctor at Dignity Health about our available resources to support you through lifestyle changes, including our available heart health classes and events.
St. Joseph's Heart & Vascular Institute diagnoses and treats arrhythmias in the Stockton region.