Congestive heart failure (CHF) is a condition in which your heart’s ability to pump blood gradually declines. Heart failure occurs over time and can cause symptoms of fatigue and breathlessness.
The signs and symptoms of congestive heart failure somewhat vary from person to person. In general, people with congestive heart failure see symptoms like:
- Weight gain
- Feeling like you sleep better if you prop yourself up on a few pillows
- Chest pain or congestion
- Shortness of breath with physical exertion (that goes away when you rest)
- Swelling of the feet or legs
If your doctor has concerns about your cardiac health or your risk for congestive heart failure, the leading expertise of the St. Joseph's Heart & Vascular Institute Advanced Heart Disease Clinic can help you take the steps toward living a heart healthy life. Find a Doctor near you today to learn about our trusted treatment options and personal care.
Causes of Congestive Heart Failure
Heart failure is caused by overworking or damaging the heart muscle, which makes it weak and unable to pump blood effectively. Heart failure can be caused by heart attack and often occurs due to untreated heart disease. A few common causes of congestive heart failure include:
- Untreated anemia
- Coronary artery disease (hardening of the arteries)
- Substance abuse, including use of anabolic steroids
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Heart valve disorders
Congestive Heart Failure Treatment in the Stockton Region
Our treatment and prevention strategies for congestive heart failure focuses on reducing risk factors and slowing the progression of existing disease. Heart failure itself cannot be reversed or cured.
To reduce your risk of developing congestive heart failure, you should live a heart-healthy lifestyle by:
- Eating healthy, unprocessed foods
- Limiting sodium intake
- Getting plenty of exercise
- Stopping smoking
- Not taking illicit drugs
- Treating underlying heart conditions such as hypertension or high cholesterol
Your doctor also may recommend several therapies, including:
St. Joseph's Heart & Vascular Institute provides leading care and services to treat patients with congestive heart failure in the Stockton, CA region.
- Specialized physical therapy
- Home oxygen therapy
- Heart transplant
- Surgery to repair issues contributing to your heart failure, such as valve abnormalities, or to implant a ventricular assist device that will enable your heart to pump better
- Lifestyle modifications
- Medications to reduce the work your heart has to do and eliminate excess fluids from your body to help your heart pump more easily