CENTRAL COAST, CA – January 2, 2020 – Dignity Health’s Weight Loss Surgery Institute of the Central Coast (WLSICC) wants to inform community members of the benefits of bariatric surgery for those that are candidates. As the Central Coast’s only comprehensive surgical weight loss program, and during this period of New Year’s resolutions, WLSICC aims to share the benefits of long-lasting weight loss.
Obesity is defined as 100 pounds above ideal body weight, or a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 40. Obesity often leads to other life-threatening medical conditions type II diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiac disease, and elevated cholesterol. The benefits of weight loss are improvement in overall health and quality of life, coupled with the elimination of medical conditions brought on by obesity.
To qualify for bariatric surgery, patients must meet the following criteria established by the National Institutes of Health and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery:
- More than 100 pounds over your ideal weight
- BMI of 40 or greater or a BMI of 35-39.9, along with two or more medical conditions such as diabetes and/or hypertension which would improve significantly with weight loss
- Tried and been unable to lose weight through diet and exercise
- Prepared to make a lifelong commitment to dietary, exercise and behavioral changes necessary for long-term success
- No mental or behavioral disorders that may interfere with long-term weight loss success
Dignity Health Central Coast provides comprehensive, individualized care from expert providers to help you on your weight loss journey. The physical, emotional, and health benefits of weight loss surgery can put life on a whole new path. The accredited WLSICC program offers a comprehensive approach to care, with support and education from initial contact and beyond recovery, including:
- Free seminars and patient education
- Extensive physical and psychological assessments and support
- Post-operative visits, calls, lab tests, and monitoring
- Nutritional and lifestyle modification counseling
- Customized fitness program and access to the Health and Wellness Center
- Personal assistance with navigating insurance coverage
- Bilingual language assistance (English/Spanish)
The team of bariatric experts at the WLSICC offer a comprehensive approach and individualized treatment to determine the best path for each patient. Often a person’s journey to surgical weight loss options begins by research which is why Dignity Health Central Coast offers the community a free, confidential, online weight loss assessment which can reveal the amount of risk a person has based on nutrition, lifestyle and body weight.
About Dignity Health Central Coast
Dignity Health Central Coast is comprised of five award-winning hospitals, all recognized for their quality of care, safety and service, primary care offices, premier ambulatory surgery centers, technologically advanced imaging centers, outpatient services, and comprehensive home health services. Hospitals in the Dignity Health Central Coast region include Arroyo Grande Community Hospital in Arroyo Grande, French Hospital Medical Center in San Luis Obispo, Marian Regional Medical Center in Santa Maria, St. John’s Pleasant Valley Hospital in Camarillo, and St. John’s Regional Medical Center in Oxnard. Each hospital is supported by an active philanthropic Foundation to provide additional funding to support new programs and services, as well as to advance the community’s access to health care. For more information, visit dignityhealth.org/centralcoast.