You’ve reached that wonderful moment in life when the idea of starting a family sounds perfect. At Dignity Health Central Coast, our trusted gynecologists and obstetricians (OB/GYNs) can help by providing tips for your healthiest possible pregnancy.
From pre-pregnancy counseling to healthy lifestyle changes, your Dignity Health Central Coast doctor walks with you every step of the way. Throughout your journey, our doctors treat you with care, dignity, and respect as you await the birth of your new baby.
Find a Doctor today as you prepare for a happy and healthy pregnancy on the Central Coast of California.
How to Have a Healthy Pregnancy at Dignity Health Central Coast
Perhaps no other time in life is your health and well-being more important than during conception and pregnancy. To help your body best prepare for these big changes, talk with your Dignity Health Central Coast doctor at least three months before you start trying to conceive.
These early, pre-conception meetings give you and your doctor an opportunity to review your medical history and discuss health tips for getting pregnant. During this appointment, your doctor will review and adjust medications, make sure vaccinations are up to date, and help get any health conditions under control prior to pregnancy.
Consider these important pregnancy tips before and after you conceive:
- Daily folic acid can safeguard your baby from brain and spinal birth defects, such as spina bifida. Begin taking between 400 and 800 micrograms of folic acid at least one month prior to attempting to get pregnant.
- Dental health, including having your teeth checked and cleaned, is important since gum disease may lead to preterm labor.
- Alcohol, tobacco, and drug use should stop since any of these can cause stillbirth and preterm labor, and harm your baby. If you need help with these lifestyle changes, talk it over with your doctor who can suggest helpful resources.
- Avoid toxins that include substances and chemicals known to cause problems during your pregnancy and birth defects. You should avoid even common things found around your home, like fertilizer, bug spray, and cat feces. If your work environment involves chemicals, work with your doctor to discuss ways to limit your exposure.
- Focus on healthy foods and a healthy weight filled with fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats that keep your body strong. If you need to lose weight, do so before pregnancy to avoid maternal conditions, such as gestational diabetes.
A healthy body will help make your pregnancy an enjoyable and memorable experience. Your well-being remains our focus as we offer care for all of your physical, mental, and spiritual needs.
Women’s health specialists at Dignity Health offer trusted health tips for getting pregnant on the Central Coast of California.