You may not notice any signs of rectal cancer in its early stages. Recommended screenings performed at Dignity Health Central Coast help identify rectal cancer before it progresses into a more advanced stage.
As this cancer develops, you will begin to develop signs and symptoms. They can range in severity and affect different aspects of your health. If you are experiencing rectal cancer symptoms on California’s Central Coast, Find a Doctor today to get trusted information for your healing and well-being.
Diagnosing Rectal Cancer Symptoms at Dignity Health Central Coast
The first sign of rectal cancer may be a low red blood cell count, or positive test for anemia. Bleeding into your large intestine from a developing cancer can cause this condition.
The disease also can cause other rectal cancer signs and symptoms, including:
- Very dark or bloody stools
- Weight loss
- Discomfort in your abdomen
- Bowel changes, such as constipation, diarrhea, narrow stools, or not feeling complete emptied after a bowel movement
- Bleeding from your rectum
- Loss of appetite
Since the signs of rectal cancer are similar to those caused by other medical conditions, your doctor at Dignity Health Central Coast will review your medical history and order additional tests to provide an accurate diagnosis.
Confirming Rectal Cancer Signs & Symptoms
As with most cancers, early detection improves your chances for a cure and full recovery. Screening tests can detect precancerous growths, or polyps, long before cancer fully develops in your body.
Dignity Health Central Coast offers these screening tests if you are experiencing rectal cancer signs:
- Blood tests for a complete blood count and to identify tumor markers
- Colonoscopy, including a biopsy (tissue sample)
- Physical exam and medical history to review your symptoms and check for other signs of cancer
- Imaging exams for a closer look at your digestive system
After testing, your doctor can make an accurate diagnosis and create a personal treatment plan that cares for your physical, spiritual, and mental needs.
Skilled oncologists at Dignity Health deliver personal care to diagnose rectal cancer symptoms on California’s Central Coast.