If you have been in an accident that involves a car, you may have sustained an injury as the result of high-energy trauma from impact. Despite improvements in vehicle safety, motor vehicle accidents account for nearly one in 10 of all injury-related visits to the emergency room.
Dignity Health Central Coast’s team of trusted emergency care doctors will diagnose your injury with expertise and compassion.
Examining Symptoms of Car Accident Injuries at Dignity Health Central Coast
Half of motor vehicle injuries involve bruises, spinal injuries, back sprains and strains, and neck sprains and strains. Symptoms of auto accident injuries vary depending on the specific injury, and common symptoms can include:
- Bruising, swelling, or pain
- Stiff neck or neck pain
- Symptoms related to the spine that can include headache or numbness, tingling, or pain in a leg, arm, or buttock
- Back pain that involves the lower back, rib cage, and shoulder blades
Common auto accident injuries include the following, in order of frequency:
- Strains and sprains of the back and neck
- Injuries related to the spine
- Strains and sprains of body parts other than the back and neck
- Fractures to arms, legs, ribs, and pelvis
- Open wounds
Your Dignity Health Central Coast doctor provides treatment with care, dignity, and respect, and will listen to your questions each step of the way.
Preventing & Treating Car Accident Injuries
If you have been injured in an auto accident, your Dignity Health Central Coast doctor will need to diagnose your injury and determine the best way to treat you. Most car accident injuries require an imaging exam, such as a CT scan or X-ray.
There are ways to prevent and reduce your risk of car accident injuries each time you get inside an automobile. Seat belts are the most effective way to prevent injuries, since seat belt use reduces car accident injuries and deaths. You also can eliminate distracted driving by following simple rules:
- Use a seat belt for every car trip, no matter how short the trip.
- Use a booster seat or a child car seat for children 8 and under and who are shorter than 57 inches tall.
- Keep your vehicle well maintained.
- Do not engage in activities, such as texting, that take your mind or eyes off the road.
- Designate a sober driver if alcohol or other drug use is involved.
Vehicle accidents continue to be a major cause of physical injuries. Your Dignity Health Central Coast emergency care doctor can expertly treat your car accident injuries with personal care.
Dignity Health provides emergency care for car accident injuries throughout California’s Central Coast.