Many people have restless, even sleepless, nights. Whether you snore or have insomnia, a sleep study can track how you sleep and how your body behaves during rest.
Your Dignity Health Central Coast doctor can review your sleep study results and provide a diagnosis. From there, get back to a restful night’s sleep with treatment options that restore your physical, mental, and spiritual health.
Find a Doctor to schedule a sleep study test on California’s Central Coast at one of our sleep centers.
What to Expect During Your Sleep Study at Dignity Health Central Coast
Heart disease and other conditions can develop if you have a sleep disorder, such as sleep apnea. Your Dignity Health Central Coast doctor will discuss your sleep patterns and recommend a neurological procedure, such as a sleep study, to fully diagnose your signs and symptoms.
Symptoms of a sleep disorder can include:
- Snoring or breathing interruptions while you snore
- Waking up in the middle of the night or earlier than expected
- Sleepiness during the day
- Legs and arms jerking when you sleep
- Trouble falling asleep
- Crawling or tingling feeling in your legs and arms when resting or dozing off
Your personalized sleep study will generally require you to spend the day or evening at a Dignity Health Central Coast sleep center. You should avoid caffeine or alcohol during the afternoon or evening before your sleep study test. Sticky electrodes placed on your body will measure your movements, breathing, blood oxygen levels, and other important data.
The four main sleep studies are:
- Polysomnogram (PSG) involves wear monitoring equipment while you sleep. This sleep study procedure can detect sleep apnea.
- Multiple sleep latency test (MSLT) is performed during daytime sleep. This is usually done after a PSG.
- Maintenance of wakefulness test measures your ability to stay awake during the day. You will sit in a chair silently for 40 minutes.
- Portable home sleep monitor is a study done in the comfort of your home. You will receive instructions on how to do this test so that you can sleep in your own bed.
After the testing is complete, your sleep study technician will remove your electrodes and all other equipment, and you will be able to return home immediately.
Interpreting Sleep Study Results
Our skilled doctors offer diagnosis and care focused on your physical, mental, and spiritual needs. You will receive the results of your sleep study within a few weeks. Together, you and your doctor will create a personalized treatment plan.
Sleep study results can help your doctor make the following diagnoses:
- Narcolepsy, which involves sudden and unexpected sleepiness during the day
- Sleep apnea, pauses in your breathing while sleeping
- Restless leg syndrome, crawling sensations that are relieved by leg movement
Schedule an appointment for a sleep study on California’s Central Coast and get back to a restful night’s sleep.
Dignity Health can help you sleep soundly again following a sleep study on the Central Coast of California.