Although relatively common among women, endometriosis and its accompanying symptoms can vary greatly. Endometriosis is the presence of endometrial tissue — the tissue that lines the inside of the uterus — elsewhere in the body.
Endometriosis symptoms can include discomfort in the lower abdomen, painful menstrual cramps, heavy menstrual bleeding, and painful bowel movements or urination during your period. This gynecological condition can affect the ovaries, bladder, bowel, outside of the uterus, or inside the abdomen.
At Dignity Health Central Coast, our gynecology experts are experienced at diagnosing and treating endometriosis. Find a Doctor today to discuss your personalized treatment plan for endometriosis on the Central Coast.
Endometriosis Treatment at Dignity Health Central Coast
Endometriosis affects each woman differently. Our doctors design treatment plans that best control your symptoms and focus on your mind, body, and spiritual well-being.
With this in mind, endometriosis treatment can use various approaches, such as:
- Medication. Nonsteroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, can ease your pain of endometriosis.
- Hormone therapy. Endometrial tissue outside of your uterus grows and shrinks in response to hormones, similar to tissue inside your uterus. Hormone medication can help you control hormone disorders and decrease uncomfortable endometriosis symptoms.
- Lifestyle changes. Regular exercise and avoiding alcohol and caffeine can improve your endometriosis symptoms.
- Surgery. Doctors can perform surgery to remove the patches of endometrial tissues outside of your uterus. Surgery can help improve fertility for women who wish to have children or when less invasive treatments have not provided sufficient relief.
- Fertility treatment. Women with endometriosis having difficulty getting pregnant may decide to see a fertility specialist for treatment.
Your doctor partners with you to determine the best endometriosis treatment for you and your lifestyle. Humankindness and dignity are always a part of the treatment plan at Dignity Health Central Coast.
Dignity Health provides personal care for diagnosing and treating gynecological conditions, including endometriosis, throughout the Central Coast of California.