During family planning, couples and individuals work with health care specialists to make decisions about pregnancy and childbirth. Doctors, genetic counselors, nurse practitioners, and other specialists offer family planning services.
At Dignity Health North State, life is our priority. If you have questions about family planning in Northern California, Find a Doctor who will give you compassionate, friendly care in a calm, healing environment. We offer a range of childbirth classes to make sure you and your family know what to expect on the big day.
Reasons Visiting a Family Planning Clinic
Your doctor may recommend family planning services if:
- You are trying to get pregnant or avoid pregnancy.
- You have a family history of stillbirth, miscarriage, or birth defects. Birth defects that are caused by genetic mutations can be passed from parent to child.
- An inherited disease runs in your family. Genetic counseling can help you understand the odds of passing one of these conditions on to your child.
- You are older than 35. After this age, the risk of pregnancy complications and birth defects increases.
Any couple or individual can receive family planning services. Dignity Health North State doctors recommend that all couples receive preconception counseling before becoming pregnant.
Family Planning Methods & Services
Our services include:
- Preconception counseling. Your doctor will help you improve your overall health and give you health tips for getting pregnant.
- Genetic counseling. If you come from an ethnic background with an increased risk of disease or have a family history of inherited disease, you may benefit from genetic counseling. However, understanding genetic risks can be helpful for any potential parent.
- Contraceptive counseling. Our doctors can help you find a contraceptive option that meets your reproductive goals and fits with your personal beliefs.
What to Expect at Dignity Health North State
At your family planning appointment, your doctor will ask you about you and your partner’s medical history and your family's medical history. You will also talk about any past pregnancies and births. In some cases, your doctor will need to offer tests or perform a physical exam to learn more about your health.
Talk to your doctor about any concerns you have about prenatal testing or high-risk pregnancy. Remember, the goal of family planning is to help you reach your reproductive goals.
Dignity Health North State provides private, personalized family planning services in Mt. Shasta, Red Bluff, and Redding, CA.