The Sierra Nevada Family Medicine Residency Program is an integrated rural training program based out of the Dignity Health Methodist Hospital of Sacramento Family Medicine Residency Program. Residents will complete their intern year (PGY-1) at Methodist Hospital and Mercy Family Medical Clinic in Sacramento, CA. In their 2nd and 3rd years (PGY-2 and PGY-3), residents will train in the beautiful, historic town of Grass Valley, CA at Chapa-De Indian Health Clinic (Tribal FQHC), Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital and local subspecialty outpatient offices.
We are partnering with two medical organizations with deep ties to the community and surrounding area. The program will be rewarding while appropriately intense with a challenging, inpatient heavy intern year to prepare residents for their rural training in PGY-2 and PGY-3. We are dedicated to work-life balance and the surrounding environment makes that very easy. The continuity clinic abuts a scenic 5 mile trail loop that is one of hundreds of miles of beautiful trails in our scenic Nevada County. Lake Tahoe and the Sierra foothills have numerous skiing, snowboarding, hiking, running, fishing, boating, rafting and kayaking opportunities less than an hour away. Year round sunshine and abundant natural beauty make the outdoors your playground.
We are committed to quality driven, team-based training that compassionately puts the patient first regardless of the income, race, or gender and harnesses the expertise of each member of our multi-disciplinary partnership.
- Train at a high quality tribal Federally Qualified Health Center
- New, rural unopposed program
- Global health rotation or reservation experiences encouraged
- Full-spectrum family medicine with high outpatient procedure volume
- Primary care integrated medication assisted treatment program for opioid use disorder
- Post residency job opportunities in rural Northern California
What to Expect
We are a newly accredited rural training program interviewing our first class in 2022. A new program is not for everyone, but we have multiple layers of support to ensure a high quality education. We will offer an amazing rural experience with a high volume, high acuity urban intern year. Our Sponsoring Institution, Methodist Hospital of Sacramento Family Medicine Residency Program, has been thriving for over 20 years. Your PGY-2/3 will be split between our tribal health FQHC continuity clinic, Chapa-De Indian Health, which opened almost 50 years ago and a great rural community hospital which is part of a regional hospital system. Graduates have practiced as primary care clinicians, hospitalists, urgent care physicians among others both domestically and internationally. We are looking for self-starters who would like to create an exceptional, full-spectrum family medicine program with us, to train the next generation of rural family physicians.
PGY-1 FP resident applicants must apply through ERAS the Electronic Residency Application Service.
We welcome qualified graduates from both allopathic and osteopathic programs
Our residency program typically begins reviewing applications in September. The following materials are required to complete your file:
- Common Application
- Personal Statement
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Dean's Letter
- Medical School Transcript
- USMLE or COMLEX Score(s)
2023-2024 Interview Season Information
Types of Interviews that will be Offered:
- Mixed, all candidates for the Rural Training Program will interview at both the urban site and the rural site.
- Urban Program (Sacramento): All interviews will be conducted virtually.
- Rural Program (Grass Valley): All interviews will be conducted in-person.
Plan for Offering Second Looks:
- The Urban Training Program is offering three in-person second looks. These will be scheduled on specific dates between November 2023 and January 2024.
- The Rural Program will have two virtual second looks between December and January 2024. Interested applicants who are interviewed will have the opportunity to schedule in person second looks at the rural site.
- Second looks will be open to all applicants who interviewed with us and will be truly optional.
Interview Date Range:
- The Rural Training Program will interview October to December 2023.
- We will review completed applications and offer interviews until December 2023.
Each Track has its own NRMP Code:
- Family Medicine Sacramento (Urban) - 1140120C0
- Family Medicine Grass Valley (Rural) - 1140120C1
International Medical Graduates
Pursuant to federal requirements, your employment is conditioned upon authorization to work in the United States. Dignity Health does not offer visa sponsorship for this position and you alone are responsible for maintaining work authorization during your employment.
For Additional Information Please Contact:
Erin Kolb, Residency Coordinator
Sierra Nevada Family Medicine Residency Program
Phone Number: (530) 274-6008
Email: [email protected]
Sierra Nevada Family Medicine Residency Program
155 Glasson Way Grass Valley, CA 95945
General Inquires: [email protected]