Trusted Emergency Surgery in the Greater Sacramento Region
Emergency surgery treats an urgent or life-threatening condition. It is necessary immediately in order to preserve a body part or save your life.
When you come to an emergency room at Dignity Health, we will diagnose your condition and determine whether you need emergency surgery in the Sacramento region. You can trust our doctors and care teams to provide reliable, personalized treatment, even in an emergency situation. Call 911 to receive fast emergency transport to a Dignity Health ER.
What to Expect from Emergency Surgery at Dignity Health
Emergency surgery takes place in a hospital. Emergency surgeons, trauma surgeons, general surgeons, neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons, and cardiothoracic surgeons can all perform emergency surgery. These types of surgeons are on call at our hospitals in order to provide care at any time of the day or night.
All of our six hospitals in the Sacramento area are able to meet your emergency medical needs. Woodland Healthcare, Mercy San Juan Medical Center, and Mercy General Hospital feature accredited chest pain centers. In addition, Mercy San Juan Medical Center serves patients with our Level 2 Trauma Center and the only Comprehensive Stroke Center in the region.
Emergency Surgery Recovery
Recovery after emergency depends on the type of emergency. It can range from a short period of time to a lengthy recovery. You may or may not require rehabilitation.
For example, you may only need rest and recuperation after emergency gallbladder removal. However, the road to recovery after emergency surgery for a spinal cord injury can be extensive.
Why Emergency Surgeries are Performed
You may need emergency surgery for the following conditions:
- Spinal cord and brain injuries, including brain hemorrhage (bleeding), skull fracture, spinal cord compression, and back and neck fracture
- Heart emergencies, including heart attack, aortic dissection, and aneurysms
- Abdominal and gastrointestinal events, including appendicitis, bowel obstructions, and gallbladder infections
- Lung conditions, including pulmonary embolism (a blood clot in an artery going to your lung) and obstructions (blockages)
- High-energy trauma, including work- and sports-related injuries, falls, crush injuries, and car accidents
- Penetrating trauma, such as gunshot and stab wounds
- Neurologic events, including stroke and cerebral aneurysms
- Severe burns, including massive burns that cover up to 90 percent of your body
Our caring professionals use advanced technologies and techniques during emergency surgery, and provide personal care from diagnosis to recovery.
Dignity Health offers patients emergency surgery in Sacramento, CA and surrounding areas as part of our emergency services.