Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a condition associated with unusually high levels of androgens (hormones) and cysts in the ovaries. If you have PCOS, you may have irregular periods. The risk of infertility, diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease is higher in women with PCOS.
If you are experiencing symptoms of PCOS and would like to find treatment, skilled gynecologists at Dignity Health offer specialized care to evaluate, diagnose, and treat PCOS in Sacramento and the surrounding areas. For the trusted women’s health services and full spectrum of care you need, find a doctor near you.
Experts don’t fully know what causes PCOS. However, they do know that this gynecologic condition is associated with higher-than-usual levels of hormones called androgens and an increased resistance to insulin.
Common symptoms of PCOS include:
- Facial hair or hair growth on the chest, stomach, back, or toes
- Infertility or difficulty conceiving
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Multiple cysts on the ovaries
- Oily skin
- Patches of thick, dark skin on the neck, arms, breasts, or thighs
- Severe acne
- Sleep apnea (may include snoring or gasping for breath during sleep)
The symptoms of PCOS vary from woman to woman. For the right diagnosis, speak with a doctor at Dignity Health at one of our six local hospitals.
PCOS Treatment at Dignity Health
When you visit one of our gynecologists, the type of PCOS treatment you may receive will often depend on your medical history, personal goals, and your age. Your doctor will ask you questions and talk to you about your treatment options.
Treatment for PCOS may include the following:
- Lifestyle modifications. Even a little weight loss (through activity and limiting sugar and processed foods) can help to improve PCOS symptoms.
- Medication, such as birth control pills, fertility drugs, diabetes medication, antiandrogen drugs, and acne treatments may help ease symptoms.
- Surgery. If you have PCOS and want to get pregnant (and haven’t had success with fertility drugs), your doctor may recommend ovarian surgery.
At Dignity Health, our team of gynecologists and other health care providers focus on careful assessment and diagnosis before recommending treatment. Rely on us to provide high-quality care for patients of all ages.
Dignity Health is a leader in women’s health services and gynecologic disorders, including treatment for PCOS, in Sacramento and the surrounding areas.