Weight loss surgery has been identified as an effective, long-lasting treatment for morbid obesity, and its many associated conditions. At Dignity Health St. John’s Center for Surgical Weight Loss we understand that surgery is a big decision, which is why our skilled team of weight loss surgeons is here to support and guide you during your surgical weight loss journey.
All of our weight loss surgeries are performed using minimally invasive techniques, which generally result in smaller incisions, shorter hospital stays, fewer complications, and faster recovery times.
Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
- During a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass procedure, your surgeon bypasses a portion of your intestine and reduces your stomach to a small pouch, roughly the size of an egg.
- This gastric bypass procedure reduces the amount of food you can consume, resulting in weight loss.
- During a Sleeve Gastrectomy, your surgeon creates a small, sleeve-shaped stomach (about the size of a banana) by removing most of your stomach.
- This procedure is restrictive in that it reduces the amount of food that your stomach can hold.
- This procedure is not reversible.
- During Gastric Banding, a silicone band is placed around the upper portion of your stomach to decrease the amount of food your stomach can physically hold.
- The band is connected by plastic tubing to an access port under the skin. Adjustments can be made to customize band size by injecting saline making the band tighter or looser to fit your needs.
- There is no cutting or stapling of the stomach and the procedure is completely reversible if necessary.
In addition to these primary procedures, St. John’s offers multiple revision procedures for patients who have previously undergone bariatric surgery.
If you’d like to know more about our services and how we can help, please call (805) 981-7305