Among the least common cancer, pancreatic cancer involves your pancreas, the organ that makes certain hormones that help with digestion. Early pancreatic warning signs are hard to notice, so the disease is often diagnosed in the later stages.
At Dignity Health Central Coast, our cancer doctors approach pancreatic cancer treatment with care for your physical, mental, and spiritual needs. Find a Doctor today for personal care for pancreatic cancer on California’s Central Coast.
Defining Pancreatic Cancer Risk Factors at Dignity Health Central Coast
The causes of pancreatic cancer remain relatively unknown. Cancer doctors at Dignity Health Central Coast understand that certain risk factors increase your chances of developing this disease.
Risk factors for pancreatic cancer include:
- Being a man – males have a 30 percent chance of developing pancreatic cancer
- Age, especially if you are over 60
- Being overweight – makes pancreatic cancer 20 percent more likely
- Genetics – about one in 10 pancreatic cancers are related to gene mutations
- Family history of pancreatic cancer
- Tobacco use – up to 30 percent of pancreatic cancer cases are linked to cigarette smoking
- African American descent
- Medical conditions, such as liver cirrhosis, stomach conditions, diabetes, and chronic pancreatitis
Because your pancreas sits deep in your belly area behind your stomach, it is challenging for doctors to feel a pancreatic tumor. Your doctor will discuss specific pancreatic cancer symptoms, including digestive problems, abdominal swelling, jaundice, and weight loss, to determine if further testing is needed for a complete diagnosis.
To fully understand pancreatic cancer on California’s Central Coast, Contact Dignity Health to speak with an experienced doctor about pancreatic cancer prevention and pancreatic cancer warning signs.
Dignity Health oncology services promise care with humankindness for pancreatic cancer on the Central Coast of California.