Outside of certain risk factors, you can take steps to prevent pancreatic cancer with a healthy lifestyle. At Dignity Health Central Coast, our oncologists can guide you by offering personalized pancreatic cancer prevention tips.
Unlike some other cancer types, pancreatic cancer has few symptoms, making it harder to detect symptoms in its early stages. Find a Doctor today to discuss what causes pancreatic cancer and how to prevent pancreatic cancer on the Central Coast of California.
Preventing Pancreatic Cancer with Dignity Health Central Coast
Certain risk factors increase the chances of developing pancreatic cancer. Talk to your doctor to discuss pancreatic cancer prevention and any of the following risk factors:
- Medical conditions — including liver cirrhosis, frequent pancreatitis, a stomach condition, or diabetes.
- Obesity — raises the risk of pancreatic cancer by 20 percent.
- Tobacco — up to 30 percent of pancreatic cancers are connected to cigarette smoking. Smokeless tobacco and cigar smoking also increase the risk.
- Male – men are 30 percent more likely to get pancreatic cancer.
- Age – most cases happen in people older than 60.
- Genetics – about 10 percent of pancreatic cancers are connected to gene mutations, such as BRCA2, PRSS1, or p16/CDKN2A.
- Family history of pancreatic cancer.
- African American race.
While you can’t control all of your risks, you can learn how to prevent pancreatic cancer with reasonable changes in your life. Take a proactive stand with your health by:
- Not smoking or using tobacco
- Limiting alcohol use
- Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight
- Treating other medical and gastrointestinal conditions
Routine medical checkups and recommended cancer screenings can help detect pancreatic cancer early, when treatment is more effective. Learn how you can prevent pancreatic cancer on California’s Central Coast from one of our trusted experts.
Dignity Health can help you lead a healthier lifestyle for pancreatic cancer prevention on the Central Coast of California.