From a twitching eyelid to involuntarily jerking of your neck, these involuntary muscle contractions may be signs and symptoms of dystonia. This neurological condition can range in severity or only occur when under stress.
At Dignity Health Central Coast, our neurologists can detect some forms of dystonia with a physical exam. However, since dystonia symptoms can resemble those seen in other disorders, such as Parkinson’s disease, they may use additional tests to confirm or rule out other causes.
Find a Doctor today to find out if symptoms, such as a muscle spasm in your arm, are caused by dystonia.
Carefully Examining Dystonia Symptoms at Dignity Health Central Coast
To better understand your condition, your doctor will discuss you and your family’s medical history. Questions related to head injury, chemical or medication exposure, and family members with dystonia symptoms will help your doctor determine a diagnosis.
Diagnostic tests can determine if you have dystonia or a related disorder. Your doctor may order one of these tests to accurately diagnose your condition:
- Imaging scans, including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT), to look for signs of stroke or brain lesions.
- Blood and urine tests to check for toxins that can cause tremor.
- Electromyography (EMG) to see how well your muscles and nerves work together.
Dystonia symptoms vary and may impact most of your body or just a particular area. Generally, signs and symptoms of dystonia are:
- Foot dragging when running or walking
- Muscle twitches or cramps
- Involuntarily jerking or twisting your neck
- Head or hand tremors
- Twitching eyelid
- Vocal tremors or problems speaking
Keep a record of your symptoms for your doctor to review. At Dignity Health Central Coast, our neurological team will develop a customized treatment plan for you. Meet with one of our experts to understand your symptoms and get on the path to effective care.
Dignity Health’s neurology services provides expert diagnosis of dystonia symptoms on the Central Coast of California.