In the U.S., more women die from heart disease than any other cause, including cancer. It can affect women of all ages, and many times, the symptoms go unnoticed. That’s why Dignity Health Heart and Vascular Institute of Greater Sacramento is proud to offer specialized, comprehensive and compassionate cardiac care just for women.
By the Numbers
- Heart disease contributes to the death of about 1 in 5 women.
- Ninety percent of women have at least one heart disease risk factor.
- About 80% of heart disease is preventable.
Heart Disease Risk Factors Specific to Women
- Premature menopause before age 47
- Adverse pregnancy related outcomes including pre-eclampsia, preterm delivery, gestational diabetes and congestive heart failure
- Breast cancer treatment with radiation and/or chemotherapy
- Rheumatologic disorders such as Lupus or Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Fertility treatment
- Postmenopausal hormone treatment
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Menstrual period prior to age 9-12 or after age 15
Why the Women’s Heart Program
- Personalized care led by a female cardiologist and a multidisciplinary team
- Access to specific diagnostic testing, clinical research trials for advanced therapies, and treatment options for cardiac conditions unique to women.
- Evidence-based approach to care, incorporating gender-specific guidelines
- Collaborative approach with providers to deliver cardiac care for patients experiencing other illnesses or conditions such pregnancy, cancer, post-menopause, diabetes and autoimmune disorders.
- Access to Dignity Health Heart and Vascular Institutes’ Advanced Heart Failure Team, Structural Heart Team and Electrophysiology/Atrial Fibrillation Teams.
Take the Next Step
To learn more about our Women’s Heart Program, call (916) 453-4768.