Epilepsy is a disorder in which disruptions to normal nerve activity in the brain trigger seizures. Epilepsy signs and symptoms can range from mild to debilitating. No matter the severity of your condition, the neurologists at Dignity Health Neurological Institute of Northern California can provide advanced, personalized care for your epilepsy symptoms in Sacramento and surrounding areas.
Our neurology program specializes in epilepsy care, using a multidisciplinary approach. Our team involves neurosurgeons, neuropsychologists, specially trained nursing staff, and neurodiagnostic technologists to provide a thorough analysis and provide the right diagnosis. Led by Director Edwin Cruz, MD, the Mercy Epilepsy Center is designated as a Level IV Epilepsy Center by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers.
To schedule your appointment, call (888) 800-7688 or Find a Doctor near you. You can also ask us about our support group for people with epilepsy or latest clinical research.
Do I Have Epilepsy?
Seizures are the defining sign of epilepsy. If you continue to have seizures over a period of time, you may be diagnosed with epilepsy.
Seizure signs and symptoms vary from person to person and can also depend on which part of the brain is involved. There are three types of seizure: tonic-clonic, absence, and focal.
Generally speaking, symptoms for any of these type of seizures may include:
- Inability to speak
- Periods of staring into space
- Feeling strange or weird immediately prior to a seizure
- Visual or auditory hallucinations
- Change in mood or emotions right before a seizure
- Facial flushing
- Smelling odors that aren’t there
- Tingling or crawling feeling of the skin
- Abnormal head movements
- Muscle rigidity
Receive an Epilepsy Diagnosis at Dignity Health
To diagnose epilepsy, your neurologist or other specialist will perform a thorough physical exam and ask questions about your medical history, including your family history of epilepsy. The doctor will ask you for details about previous seizure episodes, including:
- What you experience
- How often they happen
- If you’ve noticed anything that tends to bring them on
Using the latest technologies, your doctor may also order some tests, including:
- Electroencephalogram (EEG), a noninvasive test that records the electrical activity of your brain
- Blood tests
- Portable EEG, which records your brain activity for several days
- Imaging tests such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT)
- Lumbar puncture to examine your cerebrospinal fluid
Obtaining an epilepsy diagnosis will help you receive treatment quickly. Early intervention may be able to reduce the number and severity of your seizures and improve your quality of life. Rely on our experts to work with you to find the right treatment for your unique case. Dignity Health Neurological Institute of Northern California provides trusted diagnosis and care for epilepsy in Sacramento, CA and the surrounding areas.