Abnormal uterine bleeding is any vaginal spotting or bleeding between menstrual periods. Typically, women of childbearing age who are not pregnant experience vaginal bleeding for a few days each month as the uterus sheds its lining. This is called menstruation, or a “period.” Any uterine bleeding that occurs at other times of the month, or menstrual bleeding that is heavier or lasts longer than usual, is considered abnormal.
As we are committed to your complete well-being, our skilled gynecologists at Dignity Health provide all women with trusted women’s health services. If you’re experiencing abnormal uterine bleeding in Sacramento or a surrounding area, find a gynecologist near you for personal care.
What Causes Abnormal Uterine Bleeding?
Abnormal uterine bleeding is a sign that something unusual is going on in the body. Causes of abnormal bleeding include:
- Birth control, including IUDs and birth control pills
- Adenomyosis, when endometrial tissue that normally lines the uterus grows into its muscular wall
- Uterine polyps or fibroids
- Hormone swings in puberty and perimenopause
- Blood clotting disorders or medications used to treat them
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Cancer of the cervix, vagina, or uterus
- Infection or inflammation of the cervix or lining of the uterus
Most cases of abnormal uterine bleeding are not cancer. However, because abnormal bleeding can be a sign of cancer, especially in postmenopausal women, it is important to see your gynecologist at Dignity Health to determine what is causing the bleeding.
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of abnormal uterine bleeding include:
- Spotting or bleeding between menstrual periods
- Menstrual periods that last longer than seven days
- Spotting or bleeding after menopause
- Spotting or bleeding after sex
- Soaking a tampon or pad in one hour or less during your menstrual period
Expert Abnormal Uterine Bleeding Treatment in Sacramento
Treatment options depend on the cause of abnormal uterine bleeding, the severity of your symptoms, your age, and whether or not you wish to become pregnant in the future.
At Dignity Health, our treatment options for abnormal bleeding include:
- Medications. Antibiotics treat infections that cause abnormal uterine bleeding. A variety of other prescription medications can sometimes be used to control bleeding.
- Hormone therapy. Doctors often prescribe birth control pills, hormone injections, or hormone creams to regulate hormone levels and decrease or eliminate abnormal uterine bleeding. Hormone-releasing IUDs are also used to control bleeding.
- Endometrial ablation, a specialized procedure that destroys the lining of the uterus in order to stop abnormal uterine bleeding.
- Surgery, including dilation and curettage (D&C), a procedure to gently scrape away the lining of the uterus; surgical removal of fibroids or polyps; and hysterectomy, surgical removal of the uterus.
Your gynecologist will explain your treatment options and help you select the one that is most appropriate for you. Our team uses the latest technologies and methods, allowing us to deliver exceptional care to women of all ages.
Dignity Health offers care for spotting between periods and other abnormal uterine bleeding in Sacramento, CA and the surrounding areas. Find a doctor near you.