Fibroid removal, or fibroid surgery, refers to a number of surgical procedures to remove uterine fibroids (tumors) from the wall of the uterus. Uterine fibroids are usually noncancerous.
If you are experiencing symptoms of uterine fibroids, such as pelvic pain, heavy bleeding during menstruation, painful intercourse, frequent urination, and bloating, consult an experienced Dignity Health gynecologist. We offer compassionate care to evaluate fibroid symptoms and perform fibroid removal in Sacramento, CA and the surrounding areas. Find a Doctor for the services you need.
Why Fibroid Removal is Performed
Uterine fibroids can be very uncomfortable or painful. At Dignity Health, skilled gynecologic surgeons can provide relief from these symptoms by removing the fibroids altogether.
Common reasons for fibroid removal include:
- Bleeding between periods
- Heavy menstrual bleeding that interferes with activity
- Difficulty getting pregnant (infertility)
- Rapid growth of the fibroid
- Significant pain
- Worsening symptoms
What to Expect From Fibroid Removal & Recovery at Dignity Health
When you visit a Dignity Health doctor, they may perform one of the following procedures for fibroid removal:
- Endometrial ablation removes the lining of the uterus.
- Hysterectomy is the complete removal of the uterus.
- MRI-guided ultrasound surgery uses ultrasound waves to destroy fibroids.
- Myolysis uses a needle and electric current or extreme cold to destroy fibroids.
- Myomectomy is the surgical removal of fibroids from the uterus.
- Uterine fibroid embolization blocks blood flow to the fibroids, causing the fibroids to shrink.
We use the latest technologies for these surgeries, including the da Vinci System, often resulting in shorter recovery times. Be sure to discuss all of the risks and benefits of each treatment option with your doctor, who will help you find the right solution for your unique case.
The amount of time needed for recovery from fibroid removal will depend on the type of procedure you have. In most cases, you’ll need a few weeks to fully recover. For a hysterectomy, recovery time can take three to six weeks. As a leading provider of gynecology services for women of all ages, Dignity Health offers a range of fibroid procedures throughout the Sacramento region.