Why Be a Volunteer?
Volunteering is a tremendously rewarding experience and people choose to volunteer for many different reasons. Volunteers at Northridge Hospital are part of a unique team of individuals dedicated to making a difference in the lives of patients, families and the community.
The personal rewards of volunteering at Northridge Hospital are many:
- You may develop an interest in a medical profession or a particular skill.
- Volunteering provides valuable observation or service experience that you may need when applying for jobs, scholarships and college admissions.
- You might want to try something new.
- You will be contributing to patient care and customer service.
- You can be a role model and mentor for your work ethic and skills.
- You can make a difference and give back to your community.
- You can make lifelong friends.
What Do Our Volunteers Do?
Volunteers perform essential services in nearly all departments at Northridge Hospital. Your volunteer assignment will be based on your interests, abilities, opportunities available, and your schedule. Some of the areas where you can provide valuable assistance are:
- Coffee Cart
- Community Outreach
- Gift Shop
- Emergency Department (18 or older)
- High School Medical Magnet Community Programs
- Hospital Departments
- Information Desk
- Escort Office – Patient discharge
- Messenger Services
- Nursing Units
- Pet Therapy
- Spiritual Care
- Surgery Liaison
- Volunteens: 16 – 18 years old
Click here for more information on these volunteer opportunities.
What Are the Requirements?
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Be fluent in English (reading, writing and speaking)
- Be able to commit to donating a minimum of 100 hours per year (a minimum of four hours per week)
- Adhere to patient confidentiality and hospital policy and procedures
- Be willing to work in a team with staff and other volunteers for the benefit of patients and their families
- Adhere to the volunteer dress code of white, blue or black shoes, white, blue or black pants or scrubs and a purple polo shirt or jacket (you will need to purchase your shirt/jacket from our Volunteer Office)
Are You Interested In Joining Our Volunteer Team?
If you are interested in joining our Volunteer Team, please call for an application or pick one up at the Hello Desk in the Main Lobby. Return the completed application by mail or drop it off at the Hello Desk.
If you meet our qualifications, you will be contacted for an interview and undergo a background check. At your one-on-one interview, you will discuss which department you would like to volunteer in and what days and hours work best with your schedule. We will then try to provide you with opportunities in the best department that match your requests.
You will then receive a welcome packet and attend our volunteer orientation.
Volunteer Office phone number: (818) 885-8500, ext. 2961.