Women can choose with confidence when they see the Women’s Choice Award® the only national award recognizing hospitals based on the recommendations and preferences of women.
2016 Women’s Choice Award® as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Patient Safety
Dignity Health – Northridge Hospital has received the 2016 Women’s Choice Award® as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Patient Safety. This evidence-based designation is the only patient safety award that identifies the country’s best healthcare institutions based on robust criteria that considers female patient satisfaction and clinical excellence.
Award winners, including Northridge Hospital, represent hospitals that have exceptional performance in limiting a wide range of hospital- associated infections and complications from surgery and medical treatment.
Hospitals that have earned this award have had a low incidence of problems arising from surgical errors and infections. The hospitals that report their frequency to The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) are ranked for each of the following eleven measures:
- Deaths among patients with serious treatable complications after surgery
- Collapsed lung due to medical treatment
- Serious blood clots after surgery
- A wound that splits open after surgery on the abdomen or pelvis
- Accidental cuts and tears from medical treatment
- Serious complications
- Central line-associated blood stream infections (CLABSI)
- Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections (CAUTI)
- Surgical Site Infection from colon surgery (SSI: Colon)
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) blood laboratory-identified events (bloodstream infections)
- Clostridium difficile (C.diff.) laboratory-identified events (intestinal infections)
“We honor Northridge Hospital for being named and recognized as a hospital of choice among women, for it represents the strongest and most important consumer message in today’s healthcare marketplace when considering that women account for 90% of all healthcare decisions. Improving patient safety is not only a matter of error prevention, it’s a focused effort to create the safest patient experience,” said Delia Passi, Founder and CEO of the Women’s Choice Award®.