Complete Emergency Care for Car Accident Injuries in Arizona
Nearly 10 percent of all injury-related visits to the emergency room are due to motor vehicle accidents. Even with improvements in vehicle safety, vehicle accidents are still a major cause of physical injury and death in the US. About half of motor vehicle injuries involve neck and back sprains and strains, spinal injuries, and bruises.
Our dedicated doctors at Dignity Health provide comprehensive car accident injury treatment in Arizona. Our Phoenix area hospitals are located in Ahwatukee, Phoenix, Chandler, Gilbert, Laveen, Goodyear, Surprise, Mesa, and Glendale.
Use our online InQuicker™ tool. It can reduce your waiting time in the ER.
Symptoms of Car Accident Injuries
Signs and symptoms of car accident injuries vary depending upon the specific injuries. Common symptoms are:
- Pain, swelling, or bruising
- Neck pain or stiff neck
- Back pain, including the shoulder blades, rib cage, or lower back
- Spine symptoms, including headache or pain and numbness or tingling in an arm, buttock, shoulder, or leg
Common car accident injuries in order of frequency are:
- Sprains and strains of the neck and back
- Contusions (b)ruises with the skin intact
- Spinal injuries
- Sprains and strains of body parts other than the neck and back
- Fractures to the legs, pelvis, ribs, and arms
- Open wounds
Causes of Car Accident Injuries
High-energy trauma from impact is the cause of car accident injuries. The main cause of car accidents is driver error, accounting for 94 percent.
Other causes of car accidents are vehicle problems with tires, brakes, or steering and environmental conditions such as:
- Sun glare
- Road hazards
- Slick roads
- Weather conditions
Emergency Car Accident Injury Treatment
More than seven out of 10 car accident injuries require an imaging exam, such as an X-ray or CT scan, to help doctors diagnose the injury and determine the best way to treat it.
To help prevent or reduce your risk of car accident injuries, use a seat belt for every car trip, no matter how quick the trip may be. Seat belts are the most effective way to prevent car accident injuries. In fact, seat belt use reduces car accident injuries and deaths by nearly half. Use a child car seat or booster seat for children age eight and under and who are shorter than 57 inches.
Car Accident Injury Prevention
To help prevent car accidents:
- Eliminate distracted driving by not texting or engaging in other activities that take your eyes or mind off the road.
- Keep your vehicle well maintained.
- Designate a sober driver if alcohol or other drug use is involved.
Dignity Health provides high-quality emergency services, including car accident injury treatment, in Arizona.