Body pain that is sudden and severe can happen almost anywhere in the body. Severe body pain can result from a wide range of health problems and medical conditions. Serious body pain may even be life threatening and require emergency care.
If you or a loved one is experiencing symptoms of severe body pain in Arizona, visit a Dignity Health emergency room. For medical emergencies, call 9-1-1.
If you need to go to the ER, use our InQuicker™ online tool to select your estimated hospital arrival time and wait at home until your time to be seen. Upon arrival and check-in, you will see a doctor who will assess your situation and determine the next appropriate level of care.
Severe Body Pain Causes
Body pain can signal an injury or some type of external or internal trauma. Sudden, severe pain is a symptom of many conditions that affect the body. Some body pain has clear, obvious causes, while other pain is more difficult to diagnose.
Experienced doctors at Dignity Health can diagnose and treat a wide range of conditions that cause severe pain.
Abdominal Pain Causes:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm, rupture or ballooning of the body’s largest artery
- Appendicitis, inflammation of the appendix
- Acute cholecystitis, inflammation of the gallbladder
- Bleeding stomach ulcer, a painful sore in the lining of the stomach or small intestine
- Bowel obstruction, partial or complete blockage of the small or large intestine
- Mesenteric artery occlusion, inadequate blood flow through the blood vessels of the colon, intestine, liver, and stomach
Back Pain Causes:
- Kidney stone, a small, hard deposit of calcium that forms in the kidneys
- Kidney infection, a specific type of urinary tract infection beginning in the urethra or bladder
- Spinal cord fracture or compression fracture, weakening of one or more bones in the spine
- Strain or tears in the back muscles or ligaments
Head Pain Causes:
- Thunderclap headache, a severe and sudden type of headache, often a warning sign of a possibly fatal condition called subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Stroke, damage to the brain caused by a lack of normal blood flow
- Ruptured brain aneurysm, a balloon-like bulge in the wall of an artery that burst or leaks
Pelvic Pain Causes:
- Ectopic pregnancy, a fertilized egg stays in the fallopian tube or implants outside the uterus
- Diverticulitis, infection in one or more of the small pouches in the lining of the digestive tract
- Intestinal obstruction, digested material becomes stuck in the digestive tract
- Miscarriage, the spontaneous loss of a fetus before the 20th week of pregnancy
You should call your doctor right away if you have pain that seems abnormal or does not go away within a few hours. Dignity Health’s emergency departments and urgent care centers extend compassionate care to diagnose and treat all forms of severe body pain in Arizona .