A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is brain damage caused by a blow to the head or another trauma that harms the head, such as an accident. Concussion is a very common type of TBI. Treatment is intended to prevent further brain damage and preserve function and mental health.
Arizona’s finest neurological care is available at Dignity Health, including TBI treatment, in Arizona. Learn more about our comprehensive neurology services at each state-of-the-art location:
To schedule an appointment, Find a Doctor near you today.
Traumatic Brain Injury Treatment at Dignity Health
Traumatic brain injuries can range from mild to severe. Treatment depends on the severity and extent of the injury. All known and suspected TBIs must be evaluated by a medical professional.
Treatments may include:
- Rest: A mild TBI (such as a concussion) is best treated with physical and mental rest. A person who has experienced a mild TBI should not resume usual activities until a medical professional says it is OK.
- Nonprescription pain medication: A TBI can cause headaches. If the injury is mild, the pain can be managed with nonprescription pain medications such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen. Check with your health care provider before taking any medications.
- Prescription medication: Health care providers use prescription medication to control seizures, reduce brain swelling, ease muscle spasms, prevent blood clots, and improve mental function.
- Surgery: Surgery may be necessary to relieve pressure on the brain and prevent further brain damage.
- Rehabilitative care: A person who has had a severe TBI may need continuing care. Depending on the injury, TBI can affect the ability to walk, speak, and perform other activities of daily living.
Considering Your Treatment Options for TBI
Stabilizing the patient and preventing further brain damage is the first goal of treatment and may require emergency intervention.
The full extent of the injury — and need for further treatment — may not be immediately apparent. Your health care provider will keep you informed and discuss the pros and cons of various treatment options.
Falls, injuries, and accidents are among the most common causes of TBI. To help reduce your risk of TBI:
- Wear your seatbelt. Vehicle accidents are a major cause of TBI. Buckle up every time you get in the car.
- Use appropriate safety protection, including helmets. Wear a well-fitting helmet every time you bike or participate in sports.
- Drive sober. Impaired driving is a major cause of vehicle accidents. Do not drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Maintain a safe home environment. Remove tripping hazards, secure loose rugs, and use handrails.
Evidence shows the damage from traumatic brain injury may build up over time. Make sure you follow all treatment and therapy instructions to help ensure a full recovery.
Dignity Health provides comprehensive traumatic brain injury (TBI) treatment in Arizona.