Foot and ankle surgery is performed at Dignity Health by skilled orthopedic surgeons. A podiatrist (foot doctor) may recommend foot surgery to treat an injury or ongoing condition that hasn’t responded to noninvasive treatment and therapy.
Why Foot & Ankle Surgery is Performed
There are many bones and tendons that make up the structures of your foot and ankle. When one or more of these is damaged or injured, it can cause pain and limit movement, making it difficult or impossible to walk without assistance.
Doctors at Dignity Health can repair injuries and heal chronic conditions through the following types of foot surgery in Arizona:
- Achilles tendon surgery: Repairing or rerouting a tendon to improve foot movement
- Ankle replacement surgery: Replacing damaged ankle joint bones and cartilage
- Bunion surgery: Realigning the big toe joint and alleviating pain
- Plantar fascia release: Relieves discomfort caused by plantar fasciitis
- Neuroma surgery: Reduces pain due to thickened tissue around a nerve
- Hammertoe surgery: Straightens the toe and relieves pain
- Fusion surgery: Joins bones together permanently and relieves arthritis pain
- Metatarsal surgery: Repairs a dislocated or deformed toe
If you would like to learn more about foot and ankle surgery in Arizona, speak with a provider at Dignity Health. For the orthopedic services you need, Find a Doctor near you today.
What to Expect at Dignity Health
In most cases, foot surgery will be an outpatient procedure, allowing you to go home the same day of your procedure. You’ll be given general anesthesia so you won’t feel any discomfort during surgery. Once the procedure is complete, a boot or cast may be needed to help stabilize your foot while it heals.
Recovery After Foot & Ankle Surgery
Your provider may also suggest physical therapy to help your foot recover properly. Your physical therapist or your doctor will give you certain exercises you can do at home. Post-surgical care may include rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE). Depending on your surgery, you may have special care for bandages, dressings, staples, or stitches.
A full recovery can take several days or months, depending on your age, overall health, and specific procedure.
At Dignity Health, the goals of surgery focus on relieving pain and improving flexibility in the ankle or foot. Your doctor will provide you with special instructions that explain when it will be safe to resume normal activities.
Dignity Health offers excellence in care for foot and ankle surgery in Arizona, as part of our orthopedic services.