Typical day during general operating room rotation starts around 06:30 AM with setting up the operating room and performing preoperative evaluation and obtaining informed consent of the first patient. At 7:15 AM the OR technician will take the patient to the OR. All residents will be relieved from clinical duties at approximately 16:30 if not on call.
- For the first month of CA-1 Year, residents will have daily introductory lectures.
- Starting in August of the academic year, residents will have a half-day academic seminar every Friday, which is dedicated to interactive teaching, lectures, and board reviews.
- Afternoon didactics also include regional workshops in the cadaver lab, simulation experience, journal clubs, case-based learning discussions, and echo workshops. Educational activities are protected time and you will be relieved to attend these opportunities.
- During the first 2 months of CA-1 year, there will be 1:1 supervision with no call responsibility.
- Starting in September of the academic year, there will be 1:2 supervision and an average of 4 shift calls per four-week block and three full weekends off.
- Pre-call CA1-CA3 will go home first so that they can rest and enjoy their afternoon before their shift call the next day.