Children and teens have bodies and minds that are still developing. For this reason, they have specific needs if they ever require emergency medical care.
If your child or teen has an acute illness or injury, pediatric emergency services may be needed for specialized care. Your Dignity Health Central Coast pediatric emergency care doctor will provide personal care while focusing on the unique needs of your child or teen.
If your child has a condition that is serious or life threatening, call 911 or seek immediate care in a pediatric ER on the Central Coast of California.
Techniques for Pediatric Emergency Medicine at Dignity Health Central Coast
Our team of trusted doctors specializes in pediatric emergency services to provide quality care for your child or teen. Our doctors know that treatments for children and teens can be more effective when given using specific techniques or specially designed equipment.
Equipment, techniques, and procedures for teens and children in a pediatric ER include:
- Trauma treatment
- Airway stabilization
- Diagnosing problems
- Treatments for sprains, strains, and fractures
- Mental health evaluation and treatment
- Wound and laceration repair
Regardless of the treatment, our doctors are especially mindful of personalized, sensitive care for children.
Exploring Reasons to Visit a Children’s Emergency Room
Wondering when to take your child to the ER? Injuries and trauma — including head injuries, eye injuries, major cuts, burns, animal bites, smoke inhalation, and shock — are not the only reasons to take your child or teen to the emergency room. A pediatric ER also can provide care for a wide range of conditions and traumas, including:
- Poisonings, drug overdoses, and accidental ingestions
- Abdominal conditions, including intestinal infection or blockage, nausea, diarrhea, severe pain, or appendicitis
- Bone, joint, and muscle problems, such as joint dislocations, fractures, strains, sprains, and serious bruises
- Endocrine diseases, which include diabetes
- Infections and fever, including respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection, pinkeye, sepsis, pneumonia, strep throat, influenza, meningitis, mononucleosis, abscesses, upper respiratory infection, and stomach flu
- Lung problems, which include difficulty breathing and asthma
- Mental health conditions, which include psychosis, anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and suicide threats or suicide attempts
Allergies, including exposure to poison ivy and seasonal allergies, can also be reasons to visit a pediatric ER. If your daughter or son with an allergy experiences anaphylaxis, a life-threatening allergic reaction, you should call 911 or seek medical attention immediately.
Visit your nearest Dignity Health ER today for a compassionate doctor who specializes in pediatric emergency medicine on the Central Coast.
Dignity Health doctors provide care with humankindness and offer pediatric ER services throughout California’s Central Coast.