Care with Humankindness for Cerebral Palsy on the Central Coast
Cerebral palsy describes a group of disorders that affect movement. This neurological condition often appears in babies or children. Although a cure does not currently exist, effective therapies for cerebral palsy on California’s Central Coast can help ease symptoms.
At Dignity Health Central Coast, our neurology experts offer life-long care for cerebral palsy that focuses on physical, mental, and spiritual needs.
For more information about treating cerebral palsy on the Central Coast of California, meet with a skilled provider. For the services you need, Find a Doctor online.
Understanding Cerebral Palsy Causes
Most children who have cerebral palsy are born with it because of a problem that occurs during pregnancy.
Other cerebral palsy causes may involve:
- Brain trauma
- Premature birth
- Restricted oxygen during birth
- Infection, such as meningitis, during childhood
Recognizing the Signs of Cerebral Palsy
As a movement disorder, many cerebral palsy symptoms involve muscle motion. Reaching or walking can become difficult. Developmental delays are common signs of cerebral palsy in children.
Symptoms of cerebral palsy may include:
- Muscle spasms or stiff muscles
- Walking on the toes of your feet rather than the heels
- Poor bowel or bladder control
- Having a leg or foot drag when walking
- Hearing and/or vision problems
- Unusual muscle tone that is either too loose or too stiff
Cerebral palsy is a chronic (long-term) condition. Neurologists at Dignity Health Central Coast will create a personalized treatment plan to address specific symptoms and improve daily life.
Cerebral Palsy Therapies at Dignity Health Central Coast
Some children need only mild treatment for cerebral palsy, while others require more care and support.
Dignity Health Central Coast neurologists may use any of the following cerebral palsy treatments:
- Speech therapy
- Physical therapy and occupational therapy
- Orthotics and braces to aid with walking
- Surgery for abnormalities or to relieve tight muscles
- Medical equipment, such as walkers and wheelchairs
For more on treatment options, meet with a provider at Dignity Health Central Coast.
Dignity Health offers a wide range of neurological services for many conditions, including cerebral palsy, on the Central Coast of California.