Keeping Your Heart Beating Strong
Our heart care team is here to help you with a range of services from prevention and chronic disease management to advanced diagnostic procedures and treatment, always with the goal of keeping your heart beating strong.
Cardiac and Vascular Center
At St. Mary Medical Center, we combine advanced heart medical care services with dignity, respect and compassion for the patient and their family. We’re a leader in heart care in Long Beach, nationally recognized and known for our innovative thinking.
Taking Care of Your Heart from Diagnosis to Rehabilitation
- Emergency Services: St. Mary's provides 24-hour on-site emergency care and is designated as a STEMI Center for heart attacks.
- Diagnostic Services: We use a number of advanced tools to diagnose your heart disease including a 64-slice CT scanner equipped with complete cardiac applications, plus echocardiograms, stress and treadmills tests.
- Catheterization Lab: Our catheterization lab allows us to to perform cardiac and peripheral vascular diagnostic and interventional procedures, electrophysiology studies, implantation of pacemakers and AICDs.
- Heart Surgery: Surgical suites for open heart, thoracic and complex valve surgeries.
- Inpatient Care: Cardiac telemetry units.
- Outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation: Our cardiac rehab unit is a full-service, monitored exercise facility that includes physical therapy.
We also have an extensive Congestive Heart Failure program, a Pacemaker and AICD clinic and a women's heart center.
Our expertise and quality outcomes have made us a cardiac center of excellence for many major health insurers.
2018 Get with the Guidelines Award
St. Mary Medical Center Long Beach has received the American Heart Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Heart Failure Silver Quality Achievement Award. The award recognizes the hospital’s commitment to ensuring heart failure patients receive the most appropriate treatment according to nationally recognized, research-based guidelines founded in the latest scientific evidence. The goal is speeding recovery and reducing hospital readmissions for heart failure patients.
St. Mary Medical Center Long Beach earned the award by meeting specific quality achievement measures for the diagnosis and treatment of heart failure patients at a set level for a designated period. These measures include evaluation of the proper use of medications and aggressive risk-reduction therapies. Before discharge, patients should also receive education on managing their heart failure and overall health, get a follow-up visit scheduled, as well as other care transition interventions.
If you have symptoms of arrhythmia such as a fluttering feeling in your chest, the sensation that your heart is beating too fast or slow, dizziness, or shortness of breath, your doctor may refer you to a cardiac electrophysiologist. Electrophysiology refers to a group of heart treatments that can reduce your symptoms, improve your quality of life, and reduce your risk of a complication like blood clots. Learn More