Important Notice Regarding COVID-19
Thank you for your interest in our wellness classes, community events, and special programs.In light of the ongoing developments surrounding Coronavirus, and out of an abundance of caution, St. Mary Medical Center is cancelling all classes, events and programs until further notice.
- Programming Classes
- Exercise programs
- Education tours
- Maternity tours
Please check back for updates. For information on how to protect yourself and your family during the COVID-19 outbreak, please visit the Center for Disease Control website.
Aviso importante sobre COVID-19
Gracias por su interés en nuestras clases de bienestar, eventos comunitarios y programas especiales. Con los desarrollos en curso que rodean al Coronavirus, y por abundancia de precaución, St. Mary Medical Center ha cancelado todas las clases, los eventos y los programas hasta nuevo aviso.
- Clases de programación
- Programas de ejercicios
- Clases de educación
- Recorridos de maternidad
Actualizaciones estarán disponibles en esta página. Para obtener información sobre cómo protegerse a sí mismo y a su familia durante el brote de COVID-19, visite el sitio web del Centro para el Control y Prevención de Enfermedades.
St. Mary Medical Center has a number of classes to help improve your health and events to help improve the health of the Long Beach community. Visit our Wellness Center, or sign up for any of our prenatal classes.
We have outreach events, diabetes self-management classes, senior health education, chronic disease self-management classes, vision screenings, safety education, prenatal classes, care to the underserved and underinsured, and mammography and support groups.
Maternity Classes & Hospital Tours
– Get ready for you little one by visiting the hospital, and learning what you can do before giving birth and taking care of your newborn once your baby is born.
– Managing diabetes successfully can be done with medication, diet and exercise. Learn how.
Senior Wellness Center
– The Wellness Center provides monthly classes and events specifically for seniors and always focused on your health and well-being.
– This class is specifically for women diagnosed with gestational diabetes. You can still have a healthy pregnancy and deliver a healthy, happy baby. Learn how.
– St. Mary's also offers a number of support groups to help you or a loved one through difficult time.
Families in Good Health and Healthy Families America program are funded by First 5 LA and Department of Public Health, offering services throughout the Long Beach and Wilmington area. Families in Good Health offers Nurturing Parenting Programs Workshops. The Nurturing Parenting Program (NPP) is an evidence based program that focuses and builds protective factors such as: parental resilience, social connections, knowledge of parenting and child development, concrete support in times of need; and social emotional competence of children. A strong connection between strengthening Families and the Nurturing Parenting Programs allows cross-disciplinary thinking to prevent child abuse and neglect.
The workshops will help empower parents with new knowledge, beliefs, strategies, and skills to make good and healthy lifestyle choices. The goal of prevention-education is to empower. These workshops are 10-weeks long and will be facilitated once a week. Topics discussed include the following, along with other common topics as needed:
- The philosophy and Practices of Nurturing Parenting
- Ages and Stages of Growth for Infants and Toddlers
- Ways to enhance Positive Brain Development in Children and Teens
- Communicating with Respect
- Building Self-Worth in Children
- Understanding Feelings
- Understanding and Developing Family Morals, Values and Rules
- Praising Children and their Behavior
- Alternatives to Spanking
- Learning Positive Ways to Deal with Stress and Anger
All workshops are FREE of cost, first come first serve. Childcare will be provided and Parking Validation upon RSVP.
English and Spanish workshops
Monday evenings from 5:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
To reserve a seat please contact: Families in Good Health (562) 491-9000.
Information and Registration
For additional information or to register for any of our classes, events, free support groups or tours, please call (888) 478-6279.