Internal Medicine Residency Program 2022-2023
Post-doctoral training has been part of St. Mary’s tradition since 1904. To this day we provide compassionate care to the Bay Area community, including the urban underserved. Our residents and faculty are a diverse group who reflect the multicultural and multi-racial patient population of the Bay Area. The Internal Medicine residency is a highly collegial program that strives to combine the best educational aspect of both community hospital and major academic medical center settings. Maintaining a collaborative and supportive teaching environment that fosters learning and equips our residents with the skills necessary to become expert internists is, and remains, our primary goal.
- Full ACGME accreditation
- A multi-ethnic socio-economically diverse patient population
- An academic environment in a community setting enhanced by our affiliation with UCSF, Stanford University and Creighton University
- Training in an X+Y schedule that allows for immersion into the ambulatory portion of your training throughout the year.
- A flexible curriculum and diverse training sites in community, university and county hospital settings.
- Individualized training that facilitates optimal career planning and competitive primary care, hospitalist and fellowship placement.
- Mentorship program with designated faculty available to personally and professionally support residents
- Strong support for scholarly activity, research and participation in hospital-wide quality improvement projects and opportunities to present at regional and national meetings.
- Protected academic time for a year-long series of rigorous quality improvement seminars to facilitate planning and implementation of resident-led quality improvement projects
- Opportunities to participate in hospital committees and acquire the skills for future leadership roles
- Access to the UCSF library
- Inpatient ward teaching service staffed 24/7 by dedicated in-house UCSF-hospitalist faculty and dedicated academic critical care faculty
- Educational leave for senior residents
- Outstanding sub-specialty and general internal medicine faculty who work one-on-one with house staff during elective and required rotations
- In-house ACP board prep course and MKSAP review for ABIM internal medicine board examination preparation
- Social activities and services that promote well being
- A resident-run wellbeing committee
- A global health curriculum sponsored by Dignity Health