Five Tips for a Healthier Holiday Dinner
LAS VEGAS, November 24, 2020 – Just in time for the first big holiday feast, the Registered Dietitians from the Dignity Health Wellness Centers in southern Nevada have a few helpful tips that will go a long way in keeping you from feeling, well… stuffed.
It’s best to approach the task with a positive attitude. Focus on the DOs and take a holiday from the DON’Ts.
1. DO: Enjoy Everything
- Your power is in the portions you choose. Start with a golf ball size portion of all your favorites and know you can go back for more later.
2. DO: Make a Small Change
- Even small, simple modifications to traditional favorites can boost heart health, like using olive oil to roast veggies instead of butter
3. DO: Keep the Cocktails Light
- Save your calorie splurge for the dinner table. Sodas, juices, and alcohol add unnecessary calories. Celebrate with low-cal or calorie-free beverages.
- Mix your own spritzers using half wine and half naturally flavored sparkling water. Try Savion Blanc with Cranberry Bubbly water and fresh mint.
4. DO: Stay Active
- Plan a fun outdoor activity with your loved ones, or go for a walk in the park or around the block.
- Find a nearby walking trail near you using the Southern Nevada app: Neon to Nature
5. DO: Rethink the leftovers:
- Look for healthier options when diving into the leftovers. How about a turkey wrap with sliced turkey, cranberry sauce and shredded greens in whole-wheat tortilla.
About Dignity Health-St. Rose Dominican
As the community’s only not-for-profit, faith-based health system, Dignity Health-St. Rose Dominican has been guided by the vision and core values of the Adrian Dominican Sisters since 1947. As the Henderson and Las Vegas communities grow, the St. Rose Dominican health system and its nearly 4,000 employees will continue the Sisters’ mission of serving people in need. St. Rose Dominican is a member of the multi-state Dignity Health network of nearly 10,000 physicians, 60,000 employees, 41 acute care hospitals, and 400-plus care centers, including hospitals, urgent and occupational care, imaging centers, and primary care clinics. For more information, visit our website at www.strosehospitals.org. Dignity Health was recently recognized as part of Forbes’ annual list of America’s Best-In-State Employers 2020, as one of the top ten best employers in Nevada.
Publish date:Tuesday, November 24, 2020